none
MDT PXE boot after installing OS RRS feed

• Question

• I am deploying Windows 10 1809 using MDT2013. After the OS installs and the computer reboots it acts like it is going to run litetouch but instead reopens the deployment wizard and prompts me to choose a task sequence again. I can reboot and let it log in as administrator and click no to ignoring the in progress image and it will finish. I have updated to latest version of MDT and have all family and WinPE drivers updated. This has only started happening in the last couple weeks. The same task sequence worked fine just a few weeks ago. Can anyone help me?
    Tuesday, September 24, 2019 7:33 PM

Answers

• Final Update:

I am pleased to say the problem has been solved. After going through all my steps again I realized I missed one important step. I regenerated the boot image but I forgot to replace the old one with it. Once the new boot image was imported images are running normal again.

Case Closed.

• Marked as answer by jcjcmoore Friday, September 27, 2019 9:00 PM
    Friday, September 27, 2019 8:59 PM

All replies

• Perhaps two things are going on...

First, verify your boot order. The first should be to your main hard drive. If it is set to LAN then it could PXE each time it reboots.

Second, on the pc that this is happening on, when you get to the TS menu, press F8 and clean the boot...

type these commands at the prompt after you hit F8: (hit enter after each command)

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk 0  (this should be your main HDD and likely only drive listed)
    clean
    exit

Then power off/on the unit and attempt PXE cloning again.

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 12:29 PM
  • I have tried doing a clean to the drive through command prompt. I have also verified the boot sequence. Depending on the model of the laptop the first boot device is either the hard drive or boot manager. This is happening on both UEFI and Legacy boot on all models of laptops we are using. This did not start happening until I upgraded MDT to the latest version. I am not sure what version we were on before the upgrade but I was told I was two versions behind so whatever that would put us at before upgrade. Prior to upgrade we were running same task sequence with no issues. 
    Wednesday, September 25, 2019 7:10 PM
  • UPDATE:

I have updated ADK and installed the new WinPE Plugin that goes with it. Instead of updating the deployment share, this time I regenerated it. I double checked all family drivers and double checked the BIOS to make sure the boot sequence was correct. I used command prompt and did a clean to the hard drive. So I am now running the newest version of MDT 2013 on Server 2012 R2 with all components updated. I am deploying Windows 10 1809.  When I run a task sequence it goes through the OS install without any issues. The computer reboots and the getting things ready screen comes up. It goes through those steps and the blue screen comes up that says "now we have some important updates to do" or whatever that little message is it says. After that is complete it brings up the Windows desktop. This is where you would expect lite touch to begin running. Instead this is when the deployment wizard comes up in a little box. If I click next all the through the deployment wizard it will go away and lite touch will then begin and the image will complete. This did not start happening until I updated MDT. 

Friday, September 27, 2019 7:58 PM
  • Final Update:

I am pleased to say the problem has been solved. After going through all my steps again I realized I missed one important step. I regenerated the boot image but I forgot to replace the old one with it. Once the new boot image was imported images are running normal again.

Case Closed.

• Marked as answer by jcjcmoore Friday, September 27, 2019 9:00 PM
    Friday, September 27, 2019 8:59 PM