Snapshot rollup with Long term backup to Tape RRS feed

• Question

• I need to reconfigure the short term disk storage, and wanted to know if I create a Long Term backup to tape, does that store or encompass all the "snapshot/short term" backups that I have on disk?

If so, I will be able to remove all my disk backups, reconfigure it as needed, and re-enable the short term backups without losing any of my historical backups. (For Legal reasons)

Thanks!

CCIE, CISSP, MCSE: Communication (Lync 2013), MCITP: Lync 2010, Enterprise Admin & Messaging ************************************************************************************************************************ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question.

Thursday, September 11, 2014 9:01 PM

Answers

• Hi,

No, Long term to tape are also "point in time" backups and if started now will only contain new recovery points. The ability to make backups of previous recovery points is not very easy, you basically need to restore a disk based RP to tape, unfortunately, every restored recovery point to tape requires a separate tape.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, September 12, 2014 2:01 AM