Active Desktop RRS feed

• Question

• After deploying windows 7 on my lab machines, i was unable to get the current active desktop that was showing on windows xp machines, is there a way to enable active desktop on windows 7, knowing that is it a simple HTML page with buttons.

Regards,

Ahmad

Monday, February 20, 2012 6:34 AM

Answers

• No, Active Desktop support was dropped I believe back in Vista.  I think Microsoft just expects people to use Gadgets to get info that updates displayed on the desktop, though that's obviously not a one to one replacement for a web page.

One can find a lot of folks around the web asking how to get Active Desktop functionality back in Windows 7, and even some tools (possibly even free) have been developed to fill the bill.  I just did a Google search for:  active desktop in Windows 7

Good luck.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my new eBook: Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Tuesday, February 28, 2012 9:57 AM
    Monday, February 20, 2012 8:34 PM

All replies

• No, Active Desktop support was dropped I believe back in Vista.  I think Microsoft just expects people to use Gadgets to get info that updates displayed on the desktop, though that's obviously not a one to one replacement for a web page.

One can find a lot of folks around the web asking how to get Active Desktop functionality back in Windows 7, and even some tools (possibly even free) have been developed to fill the bill.  I just did a Google search for:  active desktop in Windows 7

Good luck.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my new eBook: Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Tuesday, February 28, 2012 9:57 AM
    Monday, February 20, 2012 8:34 PM
  • Dear Noel,

Thanks alot for replying, well i was able to find certain tools to get the active desktop functionality back as you mentioned, and certain registry keys to modify and all, well as for the registry modify i had no luck to get the active desktop to work again.

I was kinda hoping there is a way to get it back without using any 3rd parties software, i personaly believe the less complicated the better it is.

Any way thanks again.

Regards,

Ahmad

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 5:10 AM
  • Ahmad,

Were you successful in finding an adequate replacement?

I also have a need for the Active Desktop on Windows 7.  I can see from a Microsoft Perspective that the feature may have opened some security holes in the system; however, that's why there are GPOs to disable it.  We'd like to manage our own risk with Active Desktop but it is no longer a feature.  We have business processes that rely on this feature and now that it is gone from windows 7, i'm scrambling to find a solution.

Any help is appreciated.

(I was informed that Gadgets are too hard to maintain and to avoid using them in a solution)

nick

Friday, June 22, 2012 6:30 PM