windows media player RRS feed

• Question

• i have windows vista and my windows medi player will not open it get a error says "the file wmploc.dll has a version number 11.0.6000.6324 where 11.0.6000.6336 was expected then it say windows media player need to be reinstalled. and give me the option to install  the player from microsoft. i tried this and when i go to install the new player it say there is already i newer version on the computer can not install. so i tried to remove windows media player can not fine it in the add and remove programs. tried too turn windows featuers off so i could see it but it cannot do it. help miss it thanks barry ps any ideas might help thanks

Saturday, August 25, 2007 5:56 PM

All replies

• I have the exact same issue. Any solutions (other than buying a Mac)?

Sunday, September 2, 2007 3:07 PM
  • Same thing happening to me too!

Has anyone come up with a fix for this?
    Sunday, September 9, 2007 8:39 PM
  • Also having the same problem, just to add some info this also effects windows media center.
    I have windows Vista Ultimate edition. There also seems to be a problem with my windows updates for some reason it will not connect to check for new updates. This could be related or it just may be something else strange with vista. I have done some research and everything I have found has said that windows media player is built into vista and thus unable to be removed.
    Monday, September 10, 2007 1:44 AM
  •  unclefester45102 wrote:

i have windows vista and my windows medi player will not open it get a error says "the file wmploc.dll has a version number 11.0.6000.6324 where 11.0.6000.6336 was expected then it say windows media player need to be reinstalled. and give me the option to install  the player from microsoft. i tried this and when i go to install the new player it say there is already i newer version on the computer can not install. so i tried to remove windows media player can not fine it in the add and remove programs. tried too turn windows featuers off so i could see it but it cannot do it. help miss it thanks barry ps any ideas might help thanks

Isn't there an answer around somewhere?

Lot's of people seem to have the same problem!

Sunday, September 30, 2007 11:48 AM
  • If you are just gonna use the media player to watch movies and DVDs, download a classic version from http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_players/media_player_classic.cfm. Don't worry, it won't say "this version of software is not compatible with your version windows, etc, during installation. It is remade to work on Vista. :-) I am encontering the same problem with my media player 11 that came with Vista and I don't think there's a solution yet. Since Media Player on Vista isn't a software that you can uninstall and reinstall it, just like their Windows Internet Explorer (on Vista), we are screwed. So use this classic version to watch your movies. I don't think you can build music library and stuff on it (but I could be wrong though). It looks like something you saw during your Windows 98 days. This one is made for Windows Vista for people who liked the classic version and keep on using it, or for people like us who can't open the version 11 because of the goddamn version number on some dll file has changed itself to something "unexpected." Yeah, right. I use VLC player as Media Player replacement so I don't think I am missing much if this arrogant software doesn't want to work.

Sunday, October 7, 2007 6:37 PM
  • What in the hee haw is taking them soooo long in fixing this problem?  How about even acknowledging it first with your faithful windows customers then get busy fixing it. 

I'm starting to regret going with vista. My sister bought a top of the line laptop and after just 1 month had them take off vista and go back to xp ( which they said was hard to find a driver for) but did.. of course for a price.

Friday, February 22, 2008 7:28 PM