windows 7 doesnt shut down? hangs on black screen RRS feed

• Question

• so i have a custom PC (first one i every built) and for some reason it wont shut down most of the time (occasionally it will) it will just go to a black screen and the PC will just still be running and never shut down (left it on for an hour to see if its just slow) and the thing is that technically the display is out putting something to the monitor because my monitor turns blue when there's no signal from my computer and when the computer hangs is shut down the display is black. im running windows 7 x64 ultimate (my school provided me with a downloadable copy).

so i've done a couple trouble shooting already. i've reset the bios settings. i've booted up having only the system necessary programs boot by disabling all the programs in msconfig but it still does the same thing. i've disconnected everything and just ran it off a keyboard and mouse and it still did that. my windows is all updated too the manufacturer of my Mother board seems to be no help to me because there only answer is for me to reinstall my OS which seems like a hassle. and that might not work according to them. 

it usually doesnt happen when i restart but it occasionally does. and its usally happens on shut downs.

also this want an issue when i first booted up my computer. the problem happened a day or two after it was set up.

my specs

Mother board: Asus m5a97 LE r2.0

processor: AMD Fx-8350 running stock with stock cooling fan

graphics card: Asus HD 7770 1gb

hard drive:Western digital WD5000AAKX

power supply cosair CX500

CD drive: Lite-ON dvd burner

RAM: 2X4gb Crucial Ballistixs DDR3- 1600 pc3-12800 1.5v CL9

generic card reader taken from old dekstop laying around(installed  after problem started)

case: sentey abaddom II

please help me! i cringe everytime i have to hard shut off my computer by holding down the power button
    Wednesday, May 29, 2013 2:55 AM

Answers

All replies

• so i have a custom PC (first one i every built) and for some reason it wont shut down most of the time (occasionally it will) it will just go to a black screen and the PC will just still be running and never shut down (left it on for an hour to see if its just slow) and the thing is that technically the display is out putting something to the monitor because my monitor turns blue when there's no signal from my computer and when the computer hangs is shut down the display is black. im running windows 7 x64 ultimate (my school provided me with a downloadable copy).

so i've done a couple trouble shooting already. i've reset the bios settings. i've booted up having only the system necessary programs boot by disabling all the programs in msconfig but it still does the same thing. i've disconnected everything and just ran it off a keyboard and mouse and it still did that. my windows is all updated too the manufacturer of my Mother board seems to be no help to me because there only answer is for me to reinstall my OS which seems like a hassle. and that might not work according to them. 

it usually doesnt happen when i restart but it occasionally does. and its usally happens on shut downs.

also this want an issue when i first booted up my computer. the problem happened a day or two after it was set up.

my specs

generic card reader taken from old dekstop laying around(installed  after problem started)

please help me! i cringe everytime i have to hard shut off my computer by holding down the power button
    • Merged by ZigZag3143x Wednesday, May 29, 2013 3:15 AM Dupe thread
    Wednesday, May 29, 2013 3:13 AM

my specs

• Merged by ZigZag3143x Wednesday, May 29, 2013 4:50 AM
    Wednesday, May 29, 2013 3:29 AM
  • Threads merged same topic.  Please dont start additional threads on the same topic.

Wanikiya & Dyami--Team Zigzag

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 4:51 AM
  • Please test to see if the problem exists after booting into safe mode

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/start-your-computer-in-safe-mode
    Wednesday, May 29, 2013 5:05 AM
  • Also,
    - did you make changes to the bios or update the bios before the problem started ?
    - are you using the latest bios ? (There is a very recent one dated 17th May 2013) see the link below and click the "Download" tab
    http://ca.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/M5A97_LE_R20/
    - when you installed the motherboard drivers, did you use the disk or did you download the latest from the link above ?
    - have you checked manufacturers websites for updated drivers for all other devices.
    - have you checked event viewer for any errors ?
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/what-information-appears-in-event-logs-event-viewer
    - have you used chkdsk ?
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/433-disk-check.html
    - have you used the system file checker ?
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html
    - did you try using system restore to restore to a time before the problem started ?
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/700-system-restore.html

Seeing that you reported the problem started several days after first boot, the problem could be a driver.
    If you wannabe an OEM, you better get used to installing Windows. You could reinstall, then install drivers, then Windows updates and all the while checking for the re-emergence of the problem. You might want to periodically image the os partition so that rolling back is faster.
    • Edited by mystifeid Wednesday, May 29, 2013 6:49 AM
    Wednesday, May 29, 2013 6:41 AM
  • Hi,

I suggest you check whether the following Hotfix could help

You cannot make a computer that is running Windows 7 shut down or sleep

However, if the issue persists, please check if it occurs in Safe Mode. If the issue does not occur in Safe Mode, please move on to see if it occurs in Clean Boot. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we continue to narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Regards,

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, May 30, 2013 3:13 AM