Windows Vista: Previous Versions empty but Shadow Storage used. Reliability monitor broken then not. Games Explorer broken. RRS feed

• Question

• This is the latest in a series of strange events in my Vista 64-bit ULTIMATE install (fresh build not upgrade). I installed SP1 at the time of build in October last year and migrated to SP2 on the day of release. All these issues occured PRIOR to the install of SP2.

First, the Previous Versions tab always states "There are no previous versions available", yet vssadmin says copies are being kept

C:\Windows\system32>vssadmin list shadowstorage
    vssadmin 1.1 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool
    (C) Copyright 2001-2005 Microsoft Corp.

Shadow Copy Storage association
       For volume: (C:)\\?\Volume{6cf5fb0f-9628-11dd-bb50-806e6f6e6963}\
       Shadow Copy Storage volume: (C:)\\?\Volume{6cf5fb0f-9628-11dd-bb50-806e6f6e6963}\
       Used Shadow Copy Storage space: 30.957 GB
       Allocated Shadow Copy Storage space: 33.266 GB
       Maximum Shadow Copy Storage space: 139.727 GB

Secondly, the Reliability Monitor graph stopped updating for months, only recently (possibly when I installed SP2?) to suddenly update and include the months of missing data. Logging ceased on the 12th or 16th December and nothing special appears in Event Viewer at that time.

And now my Games menu is empty and attempts to open it result in a window opening and then closing immediately. This recently prevented the installation of a game:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        MsiInstaller
    Date:          01/06/2009 23:37:28
    Event ID:      10005
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          Bleater\squidgy
    Computer:      Bleater
    Description:
    Product: AI War -- Error 4130. There was an error during the Game Explorer configuration process.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="MsiInstaller" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="0">10005</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-06-01T22:37:28.000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>11235</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>Bleater</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-21-4018355312-2030488072-1444850250-1000" />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>Product: AI War -- Error 4130. There was an error during the Game Explorer configuration process.</Data>
        <Data>(NULL)</Data>
        <Data>(NULL)</Data>
        <Data>(NULL)</Data>
        <Data>(NULL)</Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Binary>7B35323345353843372D363236352D344339342D394136302D3741324238443835374539327D</Binary>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

The only event appearing consistently in Event Viewer is:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Perflib
    Date:          31/05/2009 22:07:35
    Event ID:      1010
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      Bleater
    Description:
    The Collect Procedure for the "EmdCache" service in DLL "C:\Windows\system32\emdmgmt.dll" generated an exception or returned an invalid status. The performance data returned by the counter DLL will not be returned in the Perf Data Block. The first four bytes (DWORD) of the Data section contains the exception code or status code.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Perflib" Guid="{13B197BD-7CEE-4B4E-8DD0-59314CE374CE}" EventSourceName="Perflib" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="49152">1010</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-05-31T21:07:35.000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>11220</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>Bleater</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <UserData>
        <EventXML xmlns:auto-ns2="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events" xmlns="Perflib">
          <param1>EmdCache</param1>
          <param2>C:\Windows\system32\emdmgmt.dll</param2>
          <binaryDataSize>8</binaryDataSize>
          <binaryData>8F04000000000000</binaryData>
        </EventXML>
      </UserData>
    </Event>

A chkdsk c: /b shows everything is fine. A scan of the hard disk using the manufacturers (Western Digital) toolkit says everything checks out. A scan of the OS integrity using sfc /scannow says everything is fine. NOD32 reports no intrusions.

I am completely at a loss.

1. Why am I using Shadow Volume space but have no Previous Versions listed for any folder?

2. Why did the Reliability Monitor stop operating from the middle of December 08 for several months and then why did it start again?

3. Why is Games Explorer broken?

I have been unable to resolve the problem via the usual means and I am desperate to avoid a rebuild or Windows repair install.
    • Edited by Quitch Monday, June 1, 2009 11:10 PM
    Monday, June 1, 2009 11:01 PM

All replies

• I'm having the same issue!
    Have you found a solution yet?

EDIT:  I solved my issue by uninstalling a few hotfixes.  I am not sure yet which one it was, but I just removed all the hotfixes related to Perfmon that I could find.  They were:
    KB970967
    KB961435
    KB970838

So again, not sure which, but I believe it was one of these causing the issue.
    Performance & Reliability monitor is working again.
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 3:01 AM
  • I take it back.  The error has returned.  So this does not seem to be a valid fix actually.  Not sure WHAT is going on now!! arg!
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 1:41 PM
  • I have the same problem.  I can't believe there isn't a fix for this.  I have seen this all over the place without a solution dating as far back as February posts.
    Leffrey
    Monday, September 14, 2009 7:04 PM
  • same issue here getting allot of perflib errors in the eventlog

The Collect Procedure for the "EmdCache" service in DLL "C:\Windows\system32\emdmgmt.dll" generated an exception or returned an invalid status. The performance data returned by the counter DLL will not be returned in the Perf Data Block. The first four bytes (DWORD) of the Data section contains the exception code or status code.

The Open Procedure for service "PNRPsvc" in DLL "C:\Windows\system32\pnrpperf.dll" failed. Performance data for this service will not be available. The first four bytes (DWORD) of the Data section contains the error code.

The Open Procedure for service "BITS" in DLL "C:\Windows\system32\bitsperf.dll" failed. Performance data for this service will not be available. The first four bytes (DWORD) of the Data section contains the error code.

note sure whats going on
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 8:38 PM
  • I am getting the errors as well - has anyone found a solution for these PERFLIB errors yet?
    LizBeth
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 9:56 PM
  • As far as the EmdCache and PNRPsvc perflib 1008 or 1010 errors I believe they are caused because the services have nothing to report. If you attempt to add a new counter Performance Monitor in the Reliability and Permomance Console you'll see that there are no entries for ReadyBoost or Peer Networking. Those entries should be the same as there are in the ini files present in the %systemroot%\inf\EmdCache\[language_code] and %systemroot%\inf\PNRPSvc\[language_code] folders. Seems to me that the error in Event Log appears when something enumerates the counters (like the Performance Monitor or WMI). When it detects that there aren't any "correct" data it throws up this error. What's interesting is that when you would enumerate the counters again the error doesn't reappear. So it just happens "once in a while".
    If you plug a device and enable ReadyBoost on it you should notice that the relevant counters will appear. It's similar in case of PNRPSvc service. The Windows Meeting Space uses Peer Networking so I went as far as actually begin a "meeting session" with a virtual PC. When I've done that the counter appeared. When I ended the session the counter was gone (even though the services were still running).
    As far as BITS is concerned - it used for Automatic Updates. Assuming the service is running it may not have anything to report. You may want to try to rebuild the performance counters (just in case): http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc727194(WS.10).aspx
    Hope it helps.
    • Edited by Emkay1001 Friday, November 6, 2009 9:23 AM typo
    Friday, November 6, 2009 9:23 AM