none
DPM 2010 uses only one of the tapedrives in our library RRS feed

• Question

• We are using DPM2010 and a Quantum Scalar i40 tape library with 2 tape drives. We got 7 protection groups and for each protection group only 1 tape drive is configured (no tape drive pooling). Everyting works fine but DPM always uses 1 and allways the same tapedrive. I would expect DPM to use both tape drives for backing-up two protection groups at the same time.

Both drives are visible in the Libraries TAB of the DPM 2010 Administrator Console. Co-location of data on tape is enabled. I am using hplto.sys V 1.0.6.3 tape drive drivers.

Can someone help me on this?

• Moved by MarcReynolds Tuesday, July 5, 2011 5:11 PM (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 4:29 PM

Answers

• Gr8 to hear - can you mark my response as answered - thanks.
    Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by G Gossens Tuesday, July 26, 2011 8:10 AM
    Friday, July 15, 2011 11:34 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If you right-click the drive and select disable drive for the drive in the library that DPM always seems to use, do the backup jobs use the other drive ?

If not, run this sql query and see if the drive is flagged as dirty or needs servicing - that will prevent jobs from using that drive.

use dpmdb
    select * from dbo.tbl_MM_TapeDrive
    where DriveStatus >0
    -- 1=needs cleaning  2=needs servicing

However, if you have 7 PG all with the same goals and co-location enabled, why do you have each PG configured to use only one drive - you would be better served to allow DPM to use both drives all the time.   

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 11:00 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thank you very much for your responce.

I allready tested what happens if i disable the "working" drive. The other drive will not start working.

Of the 7 PG's there are 4 PG's handling servers in other countries with different timezones and the others have different tape retension periods. Another reason not to use drive pooling is that it will increase the number of tapes.

You did solve my problem. The tapedrive was in "Needs cleaning" status. That is strange because, using the web interface of the library i could see that both drives were operational. The library has its own drivehead cleaning mechanism with a cleaning tape in a special slot. DPM can't see this cleaning tape slot. Therefor i inserted an extra cleaning tape in the tape pool, DPM is able to see. DPM took the cleaning tape, ran a cleaning session and the problem was solved. I ran a test, both drives are working now.

Thanks for your help.

Monday, July 11, 2011 2:56 PM
  • Gr8 to hear - can you mark my response as answered - thanks.
    • Marked as answer by G Gossens Tuesday, July 26, 2011 8:10 AM
    Friday, July 15, 2011 11:34 PM