Integration with CUCM / ISRs - How many SIP Trunks can I have per mediation server? RRS feed

• Question

• I am integrating Lync with an existing Cisco CUCM/IP-PBX installation . I have three CUCM subscriber servers at three seperate locations, and about 20 x Cisco ISRs providing PSTN breakout at smaller remote sites.

Do I understand it right, that to use media by pass effectively I could create 23 SIP trunks from each Mediation Server?

Thanks

Thursday, July 28, 2011 7:42 PM

Answers

• Hi

It depends on the processing capacity of the server during peak busy hours. If you deploy a Mediation Server on hardware that exceeds the minimum hardware requirements for Lync Server 2010, as described in “Supported Hardware” in the Supportability documentation, then the estimate of how many active calls a stand-alone Mediation Server can handle is approximately 1000 calls. When deployed on hardware meeting these specifications, the Mediation Server is expected to perform transcoding, but still route calls for multiple gateways even if the gateways do not support media bypass.

Please see this technet artile for some more info http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398971.aspx

Best Regards // Tommy Clarke - Please follow me @ Blog
    and Twitter
    • Proposed as answer by Sean_Xiao Tuesday, August 2, 2011 2:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by markbn2 Tuesday, August 2, 2011 8:38 AM
    Friday, July 29, 2011 1:52 PM
  • No documents give the exactly description about how many gateways a mediation server can connect. As Tommy said, it deponds on the processing capcity of the server during peak busy hours. If a mediation server has enough capability to load all the calls routing to the gateways in the peak busy hours, we can create 23 sip trunks to each mediation server.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, August 1, 2011 6:47 AM

All replies

• Hi

It depends on the processing capacity of the server during peak busy hours. If you deploy a Mediation Server on hardware that exceeds the minimum hardware requirements for Lync Server 2010, as described in “Supported Hardware” in the Supportability documentation, then the estimate of how many active calls a stand-alone Mediation Server can handle is approximately 1000 calls. When deployed on hardware meeting these specifications, the Mediation Server is expected to perform transcoding, but still route calls for multiple gateways even if the gateways do not support media bypass.

Please see this technet artile for some more info http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398971.aspx

Best Regards // Tommy Clarke - Please follow me @ Blog
    and Twitter
    Friday, July 29, 2011 1:52 PM
  • No documents give the exactly description about how many gateways a mediation server can connect. As Tommy said, it deponds on the processing capcity of the server during peak busy hours. If a mediation server has enough capability to load all the calls routing to the gateways in the peak busy hours, we can create 23 sip trunks to each mediation server.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, August 1, 2011 6:47 AM