none
DHCP Policy for Android phones - New Vendor Class creation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are trying to configure a DHCP policy so that the least time for Android phones can be configured separately.

We were following this article https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn425038%28v=ws.11%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396.

However we were having trouble to add Android phones as a New Vendor Class.  We have done some research but could not find information on the Binary and ASCii values for the New Class for Android phones.

HAs anybody done this before?  Can you please provide some information on how to get the Binary and ASCii values for the Andriod Vendor class?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Regards

Winnie

• Edited by Winnie Xu Tuesday, December 5, 2017 10:08 PM
    Tuesday, December 5, 2017 9:48 PM

All replies

• Hi Winnie,

>>Can you please provide some information on how to get the Binary and ASCii values for the Andriod Vendor class?

As far as I know , you should contact the Android Vendor to know how to switch the unit to use ASCII.

And then the corresponding ID and Binary values will be automatically added.

For example,Polycom vendor will reply costumer to use Polycom-SSIP6000 as the Vendor Class ID.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 6:38 AM
  • Hi Winnie,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Candy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 7, 2017 2:13 AM
  • Hi Candy,

Thanks for your reply.

We were not able to find information regarding the Vendor ID configuration for Andriod, hence we posted the question here.

Would you be able to provide some direction on where to find this info or if you have assisted other customer with simliar configuration that could share with us?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Winnie

Thursday, December 7, 2017 2:17 AM
  • Hi Winnie,

When using this option, vendors can define their own specific identifier values, such as to convey a particular hardware or operating system configuration or other identifying information.

For your reference:

DHCP Vendor Class Polycom Phones

https://windowsserveressentials.com/2017/02/15/dhcp-vendor-class-polycom-phones/

Since we are not familiar with Android phone, I would suggest you contact the Android phone to get the  Vendor ID.

May be the following link will be helpful:

How do I change my “Vendor Class ID”?

https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/19949/how-do-i-change-my-vendor-class-id

Is it possible to detect Android and iOS devices based on DHCP requests?

https://serverfault.com/questions/440870/is-it-possible-to-detect-android-and-ios-devices-based-on-dhcp-requests

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Candy

Thursday, December 7, 2017 3:14 AM
  • Hi winnie,

Just to check if the above reply could be of help, if yes, you may mark useful reply as answer, if you have other concerns, welcome to feedback.

Best Regards,

Candy

Friday, December 8, 2017 8:21 AM
  • Hi winnie,

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

Best Regards,

Candy

Friday, December 15, 2017 9:03 AM