none
WDS 2012 - Image Deployment Fails During SysPrep RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Imaging has been working fine for well over a year now. All of a sudden, when imaging certain model laptops, the deployment fails during the SysPrep part. I receive the "the computer restarted unexpectedly" message.

It is only for certain models and images. For example, the Lenovo x220t and x230t standard images do not work, but the Yoga does. I even tried older images and they do not work now either. However, a slightly different image (for users no longer coming back to our school, such as graduating seniors) works fine. The main difference between the "senior" image and "standard" one is a few different applications and it is not joined to our domain.

I have tried using different boot images, different images in general, different laptops/models, creating a new task sequence (using existing WIM), rebooting the imaging servers, with no luck. Nothing has been changed and the servers were up for months before we started having this problem. It is almost like all of the WIMs for these models are somehow corrupt? Has anyone else experienced this?

Any help is greatly appreciated! 

Thanks, Mike

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 6:57 PM

All replies

• So I just used the Standard image and choose not to join it to the domain (in the deployment wizard) and it worked! Now I have to figure out why it is not joining to the domain.....
    Tuesday, February 10, 2015 7:10 PM
  • Can you post logs (onedrive and make them public)? Also if you are sysprep'ing domain join machines is there a disjoin step?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 8:36 PM
  • Hi Ty,

Forgive me for not knowing the answers as I am not that familiar with WDS. Which logs do I need and where can I get them? I have two servers, one that serves the boot images and one that is the distribution server where all of the files (WIMs) are located. Also, I am not sure if I am using the disjoin step? When creating the images, I sysprep the computer, shut it down, then backup (make the WIM) from that.

P.S. - Everything worked fine up until a few days ago. No changes were made to anything on the imaging server, nor anywhere else. So it is odd that it would just stop working when it has worked for years
    • Edited by mikehen08 Wednesday, February 11, 2015 1:21 PM add info
    Wednesday, February 11, 2015 1:18 PM
  • Before the Image is applied to the machine:

X:\MININT\SMSOSD\OSDLOGS

After the system drive has been formatted:

C:\MININT\SMSOSD\OSDLOGS

After Deployment:

%WINDIR%\TEMP\DeploymentLogs

The logs of most interest for troubleshooting a failed install will be:

BDD.LOG – This is an aggregated log of all the MDT Logs.

SMSTS.LOG – This log would be used to troubleshoot Task Sequence errors.

The logs will most likely reveal the issue. There are any number of things that are possible but, logs are very good :)

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 11:57 PM