FSX performance with Win7 RRS feed

• Question

• I have also performance problems when using FSX. I've downloaded the lastest driver for Win7 x64 from Nvidia.
    I still have Vista on another hard drive so I've kept the same settings in FSX for both OS and could compare them quite easily. Still...I have a very noticeable drop in performance in Win7. In fact, I would compare this performance in Win7 with the performance that Vista had before applying the first Service Packs (for Vista and FSX).
    In addition, I still have this horrible flickering on the taxiways mainly. This hasn't change at all from Vista... whatever the display driver...
    However, except regarding FSX, I must say that Win7 is less demanding in resources, especially in RAM

Saturday, June 6, 2009 3:22 PM

Answers

• Hi Didier,

When you get flickering on  departure or arrival on a big airport could you give the Frames per Second you get?
    It is under or over ten FPS?

I am not sure you get a good image with "none" about the whole boxes for "personalize parameters".
    It's not very important but try to put your frame rate to "illimited".
    Maintain "anisotropic" and "antialiasing" but decrease the whole boxes upon and particularly Water about  "1 x" and put "none" in the whole boxes for "traffic"

Regards.
    Hope this help you.
    Regards.
    Guy
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 6:00 AM

All replies

• Suggest you monitor Nvidia's web site for updated versions of drivers.
    We still have about 45 days before the RTM for Windows 7 and about
    4 and a half months before 7 goes public. SO expect Nvidia to be tweaking
    their drivers from time to time.
    JS
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 4:17 PM
  • Hi;

In Fact last driver is always 185.85 WHQL from Nvidia even they announce a new driver 160.10 WHQL for win 7 RC last day...... What happens? I don't know and also don't know how to contact Nvidia for that.
    About flickering I don't know because you don't say how you parameter your "personalize parameter" window;
    For example have you an "X" in the box Antialiasing choosing "Anisotropic" as filtering etc.... etc and what is your configuration computer?
    Regards.
    Guy
    • Proposed as answer by Guy Daubigeon Tuesday, June 9, 2009 6:10 AM
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 6:08 AM
  • Thank you JS
    Will do
    I'm probably too impatient since it took for me sooo much time to have barely good performance results with Vista.
    In fact I had to wait the first Vista Service Pack and two SP for FSX for me to get "playable" performances. That's why I'm expecting a little bit too much from Win7.

Regards
    Didier
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 10:50 PM
  • Hi Guy,

Thanks for your answer. I did spent hours and tried many different settings with the antialiasing... bilinear... trilinear...anisotropic... bionic, etc.
    The only thing I didn't try is to select none of those. I'm going to try that and keep you posted.
    I generally put the graphic display settings in FSX to 75% and it works quite good now with Vista (25 to 30 Fps)
    Regarding my config, it's not the best one for sure and the cherry on the cake...I run a Level-D 767 and the REX Adds-on. Here it is for the config:
    Intel Dual 6600 @ 2.4 GHz
    4 Gig Ram
    Graphic Card: 8800 GTS 512Mo
    Regarding the flickering, I've been reading many blogs including in FS Insider and it seems that this problem is widely common at least with NVidia Cards. People from Microsoft say that the problem comes from NVidia Drivers and if you go to NVidia... well the problem comes from FSX... Sooo great !

I know that the best solution would be to buy a new machine with more CPU capabilities since it's widely admitted that FSX eats much more CPU power than RAM. I tested that and yeah it's true ; even if Vista is demanding in RAM, FSX with all the adds-on never go over 70% of my RAM while the CPU tends to suffocate as soon as I approach (or depart from) a big airport with bad weather and all the stuff.
    But the truth is that if I have to change my PC every two years, it's almost gonna be cheaper to fly for real one hour a month in a C172 !
    I'm going to remove the REX software for a while to see if there is improvement...

Ragards
    Didier
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 11:34 PM
  • Hi Didier,

When you get flickering on  departure or arrival on a big airport could you give the Frames per Second you get?
    It is under or over ten FPS?

I am not sure you get a good image with "none" about the whole boxes for "personalize parameters".
    It's not very important but try to put your frame rate to "illimited".
    Maintain "anisotropic" and "antialiasing" but decrease the whole boxes upon and particularly Water about  "1 x" and put "none" in the whole boxes for "traffic"

Regards.
    Hope this help you.
    Regards.
    Guy
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 6:00 AM
  • PS; I am thinking that with your Nvidia Graphic card it is possible she does'bt want to run well new driver and when I was running 8800 GTX cards with FS9 under XP Pro I used an ancient driver as 97.94.
    Also may be running an ancient driver will give you best results.
    Guy
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 6:07 AM
  • Guy,

Good point, I'm going to test it with several former drivers but unfortunately couldn't do it before next week-end. I will try also the "unlimited" setting for the FPS and will tell you about it on Sunday or Monday.
    The flickering however is happening most of the time where two taxiways are crossing (or a taxiway and the runway) and it happens with any FPS, I mean if it's a busy and complex airport, I can get around 10 FPS and have flickering, but if I'm on a simple airport with no extra texture I can get 30-35 FPS... and flickering anyway.

Thanks a lot for your quick answers, I appreciate.
    Didier
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 9:50 PM