When outlook is in disconnected status RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

Sometimes the Outlook stop going to online. No matter if you try to switch to "Work Offline" and then back to Online. Still disconnected. Quite often this issue apper when the computer is wake up from the sleep and also when the network has changed from home to office.

You do not need to propose the reboot computer / restart Outlook / re-create a new profile :) I know all of those solve the actual issue.

But because I'm a bit interested to avoid these scenarios in future so I would like to understand what is actual problem. For troubleshooting Outlook I have enable the logging on it. But for me it is a bit surprise to see, it does not write any logs while it is in disconnect state and I'm trying to get from offline back to Online. Somehow I expected there should be some line about: "trying to connect...". But this looks like Outlook does not even try to do anything.

When looking for Outlook by process monitor I can only see it is doing continues updates to "AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\OTele\Outlook.exe.*" files.

Is there some other methods to troubleshoot or increase the logging to see what break Outlook connection?

Petri

Tuesday, December 4, 2018 8:19 AM

All replies

• Hi Petri,

If we restart Outlook client, will it become connected?

What's your account type? Exchange, POP or IMAP?

Does it happen to specific client?

What's the detailed version of Outlook? Please install the newest updates to see if it helps.

Do you have any anti-virus software running? In case it was related with the integration with Outlook client, we can temporarily close these programs and then check the result.

For Exchange account, we can also switch between online mode and cached Exchange mode to test the result.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Thursday, December 6, 2018 6:52 AM
    Wednesday, December 5, 2018 5:16 AM
  • Hi Petri,

Just check if the information above is helpful to you.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, December 7, 2018 5:26 AM
  • Hi Petri,

Does Outlook still keep disconnected?

If there are any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Tuesday, December 11, 2018 7:41 AM
  • Hi Perry,

Sorry it has been a bit rush time :)

As I written, the restart of the client solves the problem, so no doubt of that. But as I also wrote, I wish to go in deeper of this problem.

The mailbox is in EXO and the Outlook is the latest version.

My main question was, why the Outlook logging does not report anything while trying to make the connection?

Petri

Tuesday, December 11, 2018 2:55 PM
  • Hi Petri,

>> why the Outlook logging does not report anything while trying to make the connection?

Please check the information under What information does logging record? Section in this article.

Regards,

Perry

Friday, December 14, 2018 12:56 AM
  • Hi Perry,

Like to come back to this old issue, as I faced that again. Is it really so, that when Outlook is marked as "Disconnected" users must restart the client? There are no possibilities to get the client back to online status?

Petri

Monday, May 27, 2019 6:38 AM