Copying a site collection between servers (SPS 2003) RRS feed

• Question

• Afternoon all,

For the long term administrators, I'd like to ask how you'd go about either copying or migrating a SharePoint 2003.  I have a production box with WSS (SP3), SPS (SP3) and SQL Server (SP4).  All the content is stored within one content database, which is sized at 105GB.  All I need within this is one sub-site within a site collection which is approximately 25GB.  I have created a replica virtual server to the same specification (VMWare) and successfully created sites, used it etc.

What I'd like to do is get a copy of the site collection (or the sub-site only if possible) from the production server to my VMWare box, so I can carry out some further work on it.

Thus far I have taken a copy of the content database and restored it to my VM environment, which allows me to access the sub-site.  However, attempting to run any stsadm commands against this fails as the root site isn't within the new configuration database. WSS 2.0 STSADM commands were rather embroyinic and I can't run stsadm backup/restore on SharePoint 2003 subsites as I can on SharePoint 2007 onwards.

I have yet to find a way to synchronise the imported content database with my virtual SharePoint 2003 configuration database and a week of searching / manual fixes didn't work.

So, I'm back with my basic question of how can I get that site collection from Production to my virtual build.  As the sub-site is about 25GB and the database is 100GB+ I don't want to spend ages on trial and error hence my looking for suggestions here.  Please DO NOT suggest third party tools as I already know which ones I can turn too if needed.  I'm thinking of any of the following ideas: -

• STSADM.EXE backup of the main site.  I believe this is full fidelety but has a suggested link of about 20GB
    • SMIGRATE.EXE can apparently be used to export subsites.  I've never used it however and I don't want to run it against live unless its going to give me something I can restore to my virtual
    • Synchronise old content database with new confuguration database.  Is there a way?
    • Keith Richie's Site Manager (here and journal entry here).  Again, it's one I've never used, so any experience here would be welcome
    • Anything else I may have missed

Please let me know if anything is unclear.

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, August 16, 2011 4:59 PM If it's SPS 2003 it's not WSS 2.0
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 3:13 PM

All replies