none
Merging projects RRS feed

• Question

• I have 13 projects without shared resource pool (as calculations for a shared resource pool wasn't working).

Working with so many projects is becoming a bit of a manual work, so I was thinking if it is possible to merge into one project, keeping resource assignments, and joining merging where necessary?

Working with sub project doesn't really work as I need to level between projects.

I tried copying tasks, but get an error when pasting.

I tried exporting (.xml) and importing with "add", the resources are multiple.

I tried exporting (.xml) and importing with "merge" and tasks are merged "wildly" before Project crashes.

I tried temporarily setting up a shared resource pool, but my resources show up duplicate.

Any ideas, suggestions?

I am using MS Project 2013, not server.

Valgardur Gudjonsson

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 10:40 AM

Answers

• Valgarour --

I would recommend you try the following:

1. Create a new blank project, then click the Project tab to display the Project ribbon.
    2. In the Insert section of the Project ribbon, click the Subproject button.
    3. In the Insert Project dialog, use the SHIFT key or the CONTROL key to select all of the projects you want to consolidate into a single project.
    4. In the Insert Project dialog, DESELECT the Link to Project checkbox (it is in the bottom middle of the dialog) and then click the Insert button.

The preceding process will merge all of your projects into a single project and will consolidate your resources so that you see only one of each resource.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 12:11 PM

All replies

• Valgarour --

I would recommend you try the following:

1. Create a new blank project, then click the Project tab to display the Project ribbon.
    2. In the Insert section of the Project ribbon, click the Subproject button.
    3. In the Insert Project dialog, use the SHIFT key or the CONTROL key to select all of the projects you want to consolidate into a single project.
    4. In the Insert Project dialog, DESELECT the Link to Project checkbox (it is in the bottom middle of the dialog) and then click the Insert button.

The preceding process will merge all of your projects into a single project and will consolidate your resources so that you see only one of each resource.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 12:11 PM
  • Perfect.. this seems to have worked as I hoped for... it rejected one project, probably due to name conflict, but that is a minor problem.

Thanks for a quick reply!

Valgardur Gudjonsson

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 12:46 PM
  • Valgardur --

You are more than welcome for the help, my friend!  :)

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 1:22 PM
  • thanks again, the problem I had was from earlier experiment with sub projects, one project was duplicate.

Valgardur Gudjonsson

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 1:24 PM