none
Windows Server 2012 R2 showing a blue screen and no desktop!

Question

• Hi

We have a Windows Server 2012 Standard R2 which is used merely as a file server. This runs on a Lenovo TS140 ThinkServer with 32GB RAM and RAID 5.

The server just shows a blue screen with nothing else, no desktop or any text whatsoever, bar the mouse cursor on the screen. The mouse cursor moves by moving the mouse. Pressing Alt-Ctrl-Del will not launch the Task Manager. CTRL-Esc will not launch the "Start" menu, nor does the "Windows" key on the keyboard.

The server is actually functional and works, as everyone can access our "Access 2013" database which runs on SQL Server 2014 Standard. Pressing the "Caps Lock", "Num Lock" is also responsive. I don't really want to reset the server by powering it off and back on again, as I'm not sure what the consequence may be.

Has anyone come across this anomaly?

Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

• Edited by Dariosh Friday, July 17, 2015 2:08 PM
    Friday, July 17, 2015 2:07 PM

Answers

All replies

• so is this server configured as an RDS host?

if not, try logging in through the server's console instead of using RDP or try RDP using /admin session to see if it makes a difference

if there are other users logged on to the server, kick them off remotely using logoff.exe

remotely connect to the event logs and look for errors/warnings, this sounds like a resource exhaustion issue if it just happened over time without any changes made to the OS/apps

assuming this is not server core or you have not intentionally uninstalled the windows GUI

Friday, July 17, 2015 3:11 PM
  • Hi Armin,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

No, the sever is not configured as RDS host. This is an office server and the office employees just share a databse and it's tables. As RDS wasn't setup on it in the first place, I can't connect remotely to it either.  

The issue was discovered two weeks ago upon a routine check on the back-up status. This situation apparently came about after downloading and installing an update; so I'm told. But as I can't log onto it, I can't check the event log either. Just a plain blue screen! No way to get the desktop back or the ability to gracefully reset the server! The odd thing is that the data on it still can be accessed. However, the shared folders can't be accessed through the "Network Neighbourhood", although the server icon can be seen. When trying to access it, it throws the "Server not accessible" error message.  

Friday, July 17, 2015 3:40 PM
  • I'd try again but from a Safe Mode boot.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Friday, July 17, 2015 3:43 PM
  • Can you open task manager with CTRL-ALT-DEL ?

This post is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.
    ~~~
    Questo post non fornisce garanzie e non conferisce diritti

Friday, July 17, 2015 3:43 PM
  • No! I have mentioned this in my initial post. As far as I can see, there is no option for any type of soft reset.
    Friday, July 17, 2015 3:48 PM
  • Thanks. That would be my last resort.
    Friday, July 17, 2015 3:49 PM
  • Sorry, I read just your last one

This post is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.
    ~~~
    Questo post non fornisce garanzie e non conferisce diritti

Friday, July 17, 2015 3:52 PM
  • use another workstation/server to view the event logs REMOTELY, I know locally it's not working

not sure if you're onsite or not, you can just plug in a monitor and keyboard to the server and see what's going on

you will very likely need to reboot.  you can use shutdown.exe /I to restart it remotely

Friday, July 17, 2015 4:59 PM
  • Hi,

Are there any updates at the moment?

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 31, 2015 3:46 PM
  • Na, you can't log into it remotely. It won't even allow access to the server from any Workstaions either (Access Denied error). However, the database table is accessible over the network. The network functionality is good, as our anti virus "Remote Admin" still works and does all the updates etc.  
    Friday, July 31, 2015 3:55 PM
  • Hi Amy,

I think you're on the right tracks, as there were updates to be installed and I suspect that after installing the updates, the boot sequence hit a glitch and the server hasn't done a full boot?

I think I will have to pull the plug on this server and hope for the best. The only problem is that I'm not sure if it has been doing the scheduled back up over this period of time and that's my main worry in case the data will get corrupted after I reset the server.

Thanks

Friday, July 31, 2015 3:58 PM
  • Hi Dariosh,

Please fully patch the machine and restart it during after-work hours.

In addition, ensure that a recent backup (generated using Windows Server Backup tool) exists before any massive changes are made.

Best Regards,                   

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 3, 2015 1:57 AM
  • Hi all,

There was no other way than rebooting the server by pulling the plug on it!!!

The server data is intact. One thing though, NO SCHEDULED BACKUP WAS PERFORMED during this period of "Solid Blue Screen with nothing on the screen" at all. So be aware!

Thanks all for all your responses and time you devoted on this issue; particularly Amy.

Cheers

Monday, August 3, 2015 8:05 AM
  • Ihave tried all of your suggestions with no help.  Please foeward any new help.  Thanks for your help
    Thursday, July 12, 2018 4:44 PM
  • Ihave tried all of your suggestions with no help.  Please foeward any new help.  Thanks for your help

How do I get safe mode.
    Thursday, July 12, 2018 4:46 PM
  • hit F8 repeatedly before windows boot screen appears or use msconfig.exe to set the boot mode
    Thursday, July 19, 2018 1:33 PM