New Ram causing Freeze? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on an AMD Athlon II 64-bit processor.

I have had no problems with windows 7 running on 2GB of ram except a little slow. I bought a second stick of RAM(Kingston Valueram 2GB DDR2 667mhz) which is the same as the stick I've been using for months now. So on to the question......

When i plug in both sticks of ram, Windows freezes on startup at the screen where the "Window" should animate, but never gets that far. I can plug in either stick of ram in either slot and eveything is fine, just not with both. My motherboard supports up to 8GB. Before the freeze happen i see where the comp sees the new ram showing 4096MB of memory...Very lost at this point any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Sunday, March 28, 2010 1:17 AM

Answers

• Hi,

It looks like a hardware compatibility issue between the motherboard and the RAM.

I would like to suggest you update the BIOS and the chipset drivers to check the result.

If it does not work, you may need to contact your hardware vendor to diagnose the compatibility issue.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 6:18 AM

All replies

• Remapping is enabled. Ram is secure in the slots. Still nothing.
    Sunday, March 28, 2010 11:41 PM
  • Hi,

It looks like a hardware compatibility issue between the motherboard and the RAM.

I would like to suggest you update the BIOS and the chipset drivers to check the result.

If it does not work, you may need to contact your hardware vendor to diagnose the compatibility issue.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 6:18 AM