IE 8 and flash problem on YouTube RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I have two MPS 2011 server's both have the latest version of Flash but when I log on as a student or staff member with limited rights YouTube videos wont play, and we are told to install the latest version of Flash. No such issue with Firefox, and no problem playing Flash in IE8 if I log on as an administrator.

I take it its an IE issue / admin rights problem. Is there a fix?

Thanks

John 

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 9:46 AM

Answers

• Hi

We had a similar issue. It turned out that the default link for Internet Explorer on Multipoint was the 64 bit version of IE, but wed only installed the 32 bit version of flash.

Installing the 64 bit version of flash fixed this issue. Alternatively, you can remove the shortcut to 64bit IE (or change the shortcut to "program files x86" if your using mandatory profiles), so students use the 32 bit version.

Friday, November 4, 2011 6:33 AM

All replies

• I am not aware of an issue here, but maybe there was issue in that Flash on the student account was somehow not updated to the latest version.... 

While logged on as the student, could you try to install an update to get to the latest flash version and see what happens?  (You will need to provide admin credentials while logged in as the student to do the update)

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 3:58 PM
  • Thanks Mike,

I wont be back on site until Thursday, when I will do as you suggest and post the results.

Thanks,

John

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 4:51 PM
  • I went back to site, but the ICT technician had already made Firefox the default browser on both MPS 2011 and was more then happy with it performance so I never got a chance to find out what the issue with IE was!!  

Thanks,

John

Saturday, August 27, 2011 3:46 PM
  • Hi

We had a similar issue. It turned out that the default link for Internet Explorer on Multipoint was the 64 bit version of IE, but wed only installed the 32 bit version of flash.

Installing the 64 bit version of flash fixed this issue. Alternatively, you can remove the shortcut to 64bit IE (or change the shortcut to "program files x86" if your using mandatory profiles), so students use the 32 bit version.

Friday, November 4, 2011 6:33 AM
  • This was an odd one. Flash played ok on the screen connected to multipoint but would not play on the LG network screens running under Vspace !!.

The above reply is right, I removed all old versions of flash and installed the 64/32 bit version; all seemed ok, apart from the usual issues of flash sometimes causing IE to freeze.

Regards,

John 

Friday, November 4, 2011 7:16 AM