ForeFront client / signature files download from SCCM 2007 DP RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Forefront experts,

OK, here is the situation:

I am planning for a very large number of Forefront clients (75K >);

The WSUS infrastructure is limited and should remain so (only one server used by SCCM as a Software Update Point); 

All clients are Vista boxes with the SCCM client installed; all software updates are distributed via SCCM distribution points.

My question:

is there an easy way of having the Forefront client download its signature files from the SCCM DPs (as opposed to WSUS servers)?

Already checked in TechNet and various search engines... nothing, nada, schnoll...

In advance thank you,

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 2:01 PM

All replies

• Hello!

At this time, there isn't an easy solution to your request.  The FCS team is investigating a solution around using SCCM for signature distribution, but it may require additional WSUS servers as part of your SCCM infrastructure. 

Thanks

Chris

Forefront Client Security PM

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 2:40 PM
  • I have heard SCCM R2 will have integrated support for FCS.  Is that true?  I believe beta 2 of R2 is on connect.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 9:48 PM
  • hey....

I've just published a guide that states how to deploy the client using SCCM (and deploy it with all the hotfixes from the beginning so the client won't be dependent on restart (in case he did not have the XP mini-filter hotfix installed) and will have the most updated version of all engine.

Deploying Forefront Client Security Using SCCM 2007 - Step-By-Step

Regarding the definitions, I am currently working on a nice customized solution that will give you exactly you are looking for and without any human intervention you will be able to deploy automaticly on your schedule, new defintions to all of your clients.

hope to finish it in a few weeks or so...

When I do, I'll post it here and in my blog.

stay tuned.

Thursday, February 21, 2008 7:31 PM