Unable to open an Excel File in Sharepoint MOSS 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• I am unable to open an excel file in Sharepoint (MOSS 2007). All other documents work fine. As far as I know there was no change on the Server at all.

Excel found unreadable content in 'stuff.xls'. Do you want to recover the contents of this workgroup? If you trust the source of this workbook , click Yes

When I click YES >> It says "Excel recovered your formulas and cell values, but some data may have been lost." And then a link to an xml file , which reads :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
    - <recoveryLog xmlns="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/spreadsheetml/2006/main">
      <logFileName>error075400_03.xml</logFileName>
      <summary>Errors were detected in file 'http://server_name/Project_name/Shared Documents/abc - def/Phase 5/Track/stuff.xls'</summary>
    - <additionalInfo>
      <info>Excel recovered your formulas and cell values, but some data may have been lost.</info>
      </additionalInfo>
      </recoveryLog>

Now this has resulted in huge loss of data and I can see New numbers in the cells which is very strange!

Is there a way I can get it back ? I do not have a backup to rely on.

I have tried exporting the site but it doesn't help. Gives me an error "The page you selected contains a list that does not exist It may have been deleted by another user"

There is no versioning enabled as well .

Please help.

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, December 6, 2010 3:48 AM Not accessibility for the physically challenged (From:SharePoint - Accessibility (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Friday, October 1, 2010 3:25 PM

Answers

• I guess there is no other way than restoring from backup.

:-)

• Marked as answer by h_das Thursday, October 7, 2010 8:57 AM
    Thursday, October 7, 2010 8:57 AM

All replies

• I guess there is no other way than restoring from backup.

:-)

• Marked as answer by h_das Thursday, October 7, 2010 8:57 AM
    Thursday, October 7, 2010 8:57 AM
  • I am facing the exact same issue. I have an excel sheet with formulas and cell values , but  when someone tries to open it ,it opens with error message

"Excel found unreadable content in EarlyMorningReport.xls'. Do you want to recover the contents of this workgroup? If you trust the source of this workbook , click Yes" .

When I click YES >> It says "Excel recovered your formulas and cell values, but some data may have been lost." This results in huge data loss.

Please help.

Thursday, April 12, 2012 11:39 AM