Windows 10 Quality Updates, Feature Updates RRS feed

• Question

• I use WSUS to provide updates to Windows 10 computers on a disconnected, offline, and air-gapped network.  The workstations are using Windows Version 1709.

Question 1: Which of these WSUS products must I select in order to get Quality Updates* for these Windows 10 computers?  

Question 2: Which of these WSUS products must I select in order to get Feature Updates* for these Windows 10 computers?

*Quality Updates: From Microsoft Docs: Quality updates are released monthly, delivering both security and non-security fixes.

* Feature Updates: From Microsoft Docs: Feature updates will be released twice per year.  These will add new features to Windows 10.

1. Windows 10 and later drivers
    2. Windows 10 Anniversary Update and Later Servicing Drivers
    3. Windows 10 Creators Update and Later Servicing Drivers
    4. Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and Later Servicing Drivers
    5. Windows 10 and later upgrade & servicing drivers
    6. Windows 10 Anniversary Update and Later Upgrade & Servicing Drivers
    7. Windows 10 Creators Update and Later Upgrade & Servicing Drivers
    8. Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and Later Upgrade & Servicing Drivers
    9. Windows 10 Dynamic Update
    10. Windows 10 Features On Demand
    11. Windows 10 GDR-DU FOD
    12. Windows 10 GDR-DU LP
    13. Windows 10 GDR-DU
    14. Windows 10 Language Interface Packs
    15. Windows 10 Language Pack
    16. Windows 10 LTSB
    17. Windows 10 S and Later Servicing Drivers
    18. Windows 10 S Version 1709 and Later Servicing Drivers for testing
    19. Windows 10 S Version 1709 and Later Upgrade and Servicing Drivers for testing
    20. Windows 10

Thank you,

Chris

• Edited by Chris Stankevitz Wednesday, April 11, 2018 5:12 PM added questino about feature updates
    Wednesday, April 11, 2018 5:03 PM

Answers

• Adam: Thank you.

Question 1: Which of these WSUS products must I select in order to get Quality Updates* for these Windows 10 computers?

Answer 1: Item 20 on my list: Windows 10

Question 2: Which of these WSUS products must I select in order to get Feature Updates* for these Windows 10 computers?

Answer 2: Item 9 on my list: Windows 10 Dynamic Update

Question 3: Why doesn't Microsoft answer these questions in their Windows 10 WSUS documentation?

Answer 3: You must be new here.

Thursday, May 10, 2018 2:57 PM

All replies

• You may refer to the link below:

Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/824684/description-of-the-standard-terminology-that-is-used-to-describe-micro

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 13, 2018 8:59 AM
  • Thanks.  I read the page but it helps me answer neither Question 1 nor Question 2.

Chris

Tuesday, April 17, 2018 6:26 AM
  • Please have a look at:

https://www.urtech.ca/2016/12/solved-what-do-the-windows-10-product-names-mean-in-wsus/

This should help you with both of your answers. To answer #2 directly, you need the Upgrades classification checked and Windows 10 Dynamic Update

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    http://www.adamj.org
    Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT

Friday, April 20, 2018 2:12 AM
  • Adam,

Thank you for answering #2.  I read the link you provided and it does not answer question #1.  Can you provide the answer to question #1?

Thank you,

Chris

Monday, April 23, 2018 3:42 PM
  • #12 from the URL I gave above.

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    http://www.adamj.org
    Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT

Monday, April 23, 2018 5:30 PM
  • Adam: Thank you.

Answer 1: Item 20 on my list: Windows 10

Answer 2: Item 9 on my list: Windows 10 Dynamic Update

Question 3: Why doesn't Microsoft answer these questions in their Windows 10 WSUS documentation?

Answer 3: You must be new here.

Thursday, May 10, 2018 2:57 PM