SCCM 2012 R2 automatic client push does not start RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

We have an SCCM 2012 R2 based configuration, everything configured OK: Discovery for AD Site, Boundaries, Boundaries Groups, etc, with one Primary Site and a few Secondary Sites. Client push manually started completes successfully and clients are installed and correctly assigned to Secondary Sites MP, etc.

But Automatic push simply doesn't happens. I have enabled the Automatic at the Secondary Site level and nothing in CCM.log, no other obvious errors founds, it just doesn't do anything (apparently). I have deleted a computer account from All System collection, waited a while until re-discovered - OK, but no client installed. No ccmsetup folder is created and, like I said, no apparent errors found.

Where should I look for a deeper troubleshooting? Any ideas are more than welcome :).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Marian

Marian VULPE

Thursday, November 17, 2016 9:28 PM

Answers

• The problem is not with client push, the problem is with discovery, specifically for Windows 10 machines. I checked the CUs and it is indeed CU2 that fixes your problem.

From the CU's notes: "Discovery Data Manager does not create Client Configuration Request (CCR) files for Windows 10-based computers that are found during Active Directory System Discovery."

On a side note, official support for Windows 10 with Configuration Manager 2012 R2 SP1 is only for CU1 and above. You are currently running an unsupported environment.

• Marked as answer by Marian Vulpe Friday, November 18, 2016 3:56 PM
    Friday, November 18, 2016 2:42 PM

All replies

• Did you check ccm.log on the Primary Site? Do you have the client push account set up also on the Primary Site? How are Site Assignments configured for your Boundary Groups?

The reason I'm asking is if you did not set up Site Assignment or if they point to the Primary Site, the installation files could be coming from the Primary Site itself, and if you do not have a client push properly configured at that level, it could be trying to use its Computer Account to access ADMIN$ which will most probably fail.

And I forgot to ask, do you have client push enabled on the Primary Site?
    • Edited by Emmanuel R Thursday, November 17, 2016 9:59 PM
    Thursday, November 17, 2016 9:49 PM
  • For a complete walk-through of troubleshooting client push, see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/925282 (this article is for SMS 2003 and ConfigMgr 2007 but is still 95% applicable).

As Emmanuel said though, start by looking at ccm.log on the site servers (primary and secondary).

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Thursday, November 17, 2016 10:20 PM
  • Hi Emmanuel,

Client push is configured and tested on both Primary and Secondary sites. Automatic is only enabled on the Secondary site. Site assignments are configured on BG and site Hierarchy is setup to enable client preference.

Like I said, manual push is working fine. I'll check on the Primary Site CCM.log to see if the client is pushed from there (it should not, based on BG configuration).

Thanks.

Marian VULPE

Thursday, November 17, 2016 10:22 PM
  • Which site are you pointing to in Site Assignment in the boundary group? 

If it's the primary, your setup will not work. If so, either enable automatic client push on the primary or specify the secondary site in Site Assignment 

But keep SMSSITECODE parameter pointing to primary of course.

• Edited by Emmanuel R Thursday, November 17, 2016 10:32 PM
    Thursday, November 17, 2016 10:30 PM
  • Hi again - yes, the boundary group site assignment points to the Secondary Site and the SMSSITECODE points to the Primary Site.

I have a hunch that the problem is less structural: I have successfully tested an automatic client push to a Windows 8.1 client and my current test machine is a Windows 10 build 1607 (while SCCM is not yet upgraded to build 1606, and thus support for the Anniversary build of Windows 10 is still sketchy). 

I am now testing with 2 new Windows 10 machines, one build 1511 and one 1607. I'll let you know the results.

Marian VULPE

Friday, November 18, 2016 8:57 AM
  • Aaaaaaand I was right. I have created 3 new machines, with the following results:

LPT-TST-01 - Windows 10 build 1511 - nothing happened
    LPT-TST-02 - Windows 10 build 1607 - nothing happened
    LPT-TST-03 - Windows 8.1 - successfully automatic deployment of client, from Secondary Site MP

I have manually (right click, install client) deployed the client on LPT-TST-01 with success, client is correctly assigned to the Secondary Site MP.

Now, I know we do not yet support build  Windows 10 1607 for deployments (yet to upgrade SCCM server), but why is it not pushing the client, not even to Windows 10 1511?

Current Version: 5.00.8239.1000, Build number: 8239 - SCCM 2012 R2 SP1

Any ideas? Is the upgrade required to support Windows 10 build 1511?

Thanks.

Marian VULPE

Friday, November 18, 2016 12:57 PM
  • Which CU level are you running? I vaguely remember CU2 (or CU3 maybe) for 2012 R2 SP1 having a fix for Windows 10 System discovery.
    Friday, November 18, 2016 1:13 PM
  • No CU was applied after SP1.

Marian VULPE

Friday, November 18, 2016 1:29 PM
  • Update to the latest CU and you should be good to go. And might as well start planning for CB 1606.

Friday, November 18, 2016 1:44 PM
  • Yeah, that is the plan, to go straight to build 1606. But that is out of my hands, unfortunately. 

It's very odd that manual client push is working and automatic is not - the process is basically identical, right?

Well, thanks for all your help.

Marian VULPE

Friday, November 18, 2016 2:20 PM
  • The problem is not with client push, the problem is with discovery, specifically for Windows 10 machines. I checked the CUs and it is indeed CU2 that fixes your problem.

From the CU's notes: "Discovery Data Manager does not create Client Configuration Request (CCR) files for Windows 10-based computers that are found during Active Directory System Discovery."

On a side note, official support for Windows 10 with Configuration Manager 2012 R2 SP1 is only for CU1 and above. You are currently running an unsupported environment.

• Marked as answer by Marian Vulpe Friday, November 18, 2016 3:56 PM
    Friday, November 18, 2016 2:42 PM
  • Thanks - we are now planning for update 1606 - meanwhile manually deploying clients :). 

Thank you so much for your help.

Marian VULPE

Friday, November 18, 2016 3:57 PM