none
Setting up printers on XP in Windows Server 2003 domain

Question

• I know XP and server 2003 is not supported anymore but I have a school client that still have quite a few XP machines in their Media center and they have asked me to setup a printer on all the PC's. They are connected to a Windows server 2003 and I have limited experience with servers and the original setup was done by someone else years ago. I can install the printer on the PC's but with the XP ones, after restarting the computers, the printer is no longer there. 

It seems the workstations are setup to return to original state when restarting so users can't save anything on it. There are 2 printers, one connected to the server but the teacher wants the 2nd one to be connected to a workstation on the other side of the classroom which I have connected to a Windows 8 PC I have supplied and setup with lot less restrictions than the XP PC's, so that should work fine.

Please can someone advise me how to install it so that it is still installed after restarting the XP PC's

Thanks

Monday, May 07, 2018 7:40 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    Thank you for your question. 
    I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.
    Thank you for your understanding and support.
    Best Regards,

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, May 08, 2018 5:32 AM
  • Hi

If you are using some application to wipe the state of the machine on each reboot, then you can stop using that software or add the software for the printer after each reboot.

If you can run a logon script on each reboot, then you can add a printer connection which will download print driver software from the machine sharing the printer.

Alan Morris formerly with Windows Printing Team

Tuesday, May 08, 2018 5:35 AM
    Answerer