Can't create Task Sequence RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have just installed a new SCCM 2007 Pri Site, and everything seems to be OK. But when trying to create a TS it fails with the following error:

"An error occurred when storing the task sequence"

I can't find any good way to troubleshoot this problem?

Anyone?

Where does SCCM try to store the TS, and what does it try to store?

Please advice

Best regards,

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 3:02 PM

Answers

• Well, I fixed it ... I simply used the administrative share (\\server\c$\packages) instead of using the share name (\\server\packages). I think I've run into this problem before, but forgot how I had created my other driver packages.

Trevor Sullivan
    Systems Engineer
    OfficeMax Corporation

Trevor Sullivan Systems Engineer OfficeMax Corporation
    • Proposed as answer by IBMMarc Thursday, October 15, 2009 3:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by Garth JonesMVP Saturday, December 19, 2015 8:08 PM
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 5:53 PM

All replies

• Hello

What type of task sequence did you create (custom, build and capture, etc.)

If you try to create a new custom task sequence with no steps included does it allow you to save?  Also, are you logged in with an account that has the permissions to create a task sequence?

Thanks,

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 10:13 PM
  • Hi Dan,

And thank's for a swift reply.

I have tried to create all different TS with different user, but with the same negative result... :

Error: The task sequence can not be created. Please see following error information or log file to resolve the issue.

- An error occurred when storing the task sequence.

Error: Create a New Task Sequence

- Name: test

- Boot Image: Bootimage

When SCCM tries to store the TS will it try write a xml file to the MP or something like that? Could there be some issue with IIS / MP?

Brgds,

Thursday, February 14, 2008 7:54 AM
  • Here are some additional info.

From "SMSAdminUI.log" :

\r\nSystem.Management.ManagementException\r\nGeneric failure \r\n   at System.Management.ManagementException.ThrowWithExtendedInfo(ManagementStatus errorCode)
       at System.Management.ManagementObject.InvokeMethod(String methodName, ManagementBaseObject inParameters, InvokeMethodOptions options)
       at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlConnectionManager.ExecuteMethod(String methodClass, String methodName, Dictionary`2 methodParameters, Boolean traceParameters)\r\nManagementException details:
    instance of SMS_ExtendedStatus
    {
     Description = "Failed to call SMS_TaskSequence:Tongue TiedaveToXml due to error 80041013.";
     ErrorCode = 1078462229;
     File = "e:\\nts_sms_fre\\sms\\siteserver\\sdk_provider\\smsprov\\ssptspackage.cpp";
     Line = 2902;
     Operation = "ExecMethod";
     ParameterInfo = "SMS_TaskSequencePackage";
     ProviderName = "WinMgmt";
     StatusCode = 2147749889;
    };
    \r\n
    [16][15.02.2008 09:17:41] Tongue Tiedystem.Management.ManagementException\r\nGeneric failure \r\n   at System.Management.ManagementException.ThrowWithExtendedInfo(ManagementStatus errorCode)
       at System.Management.ManagementObject.InvokeMethod(String methodName, ManagementBaseObject inParameters, InvokeMethodOptions options)
       at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlConnectionManager.ExecuteMethod(String methodClass, String methodName, Dictionary`2 methodParameters, Boolean traceParameters)\r\nManagementException details:
    {
     Description = "Failed to call SMS_TaskSequence:Tongue TiedaveToXml due to error 80041013.";
     ErrorCode = 1078462229;
     File = "e:\\nts_sms_fre\\sms\\siteserver\\sdk_provider\\smsprov\\ssptspackage.cpp";
     Line = 2902;
     StatusCode = 2147749889;
    };
    \r\n
    [16][15.02.2008 09:17:41] :Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlQueryException\r\nThe ConfigMgr Provider reported an error.\r\n   at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlConnectionManager.ExecuteMethod(String methodClass, String methodName, Dictionary`2 methodParameters, Boolean traceParameters)
       at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.AdminConsole.OsdCommon.OsdUtilities.SetSequence(ConnectionManagerBase connectionManager, IResultObject taskSequencePackage, IResultObject taskSequence)\r\nConfigMgr Error Object:
    {
     ErrorCode = 1078462229;
     Line = 2902;
     StatusCode = 2147749889;
    };
    \r\nSystem.Management.ManagementException\r\nGeneric failure \r\n   at System.Management.ManagementException.ThrowWithExtendedInfo(ManagementStatus errorCode)
    {
     ErrorCode = 1078462229;
     Line = 2902;
     StatusCode = 2147749889;
    };
    \r\n
    Friday, February 15, 2008 9:41 AM
  • And from "CreateTsMedia.log" :

<![LOG[======= SerializeNewSelfSignedCert =======]LOG]!><time="13:14:16.258+-60" date="02-12-2008" component="CreateTsMedia" context="" type="1" thread="3636" file="stagecertificate.cpp:1038">
    <![LOG[Generating self-signed certificate]LOG]!><time="13:14:16.258+-60" date="02-12-2008" component="CreateTsMedia" context="" type="1" thread="3636" file="stagecertificate.cpp:158">
    <![LOG[======= SerializeNewSelfSignedCert =======]LOG]!><time="13:14:16.539+-60" date="02-12-2008" component="CreateTsMedia" context="" type="1" thread="3636" file="stagecertificate.cpp:1038">
    <![LOG[Generating self-signed certificate]LOG]!><time="13:14:16.539+-60" date="02-12-2008" component="CreateTsMedia" context="" type="1" thread="3636" file="stagecertificate.cpp:158">
    <![LOG[======= SerializeNewSelfSignedCert =======]LOG]!><time="13:40:02.088+-60" date="02-13-2008" component="CreateTsMedia" context="" type="1" thread="3912" file="stagecertificate.cpp:1038">
    <![LOG[Generating self-signed certificate]LOG]!><time="13:40:02.103+-60" date="02-13-2008" component="CreateTsMedia" context="" type="1" thread="3912" file="stagecertificate.cpp:158">
    <![LOG[======= SerializeNewSelfSignedCert =======]LOG]!><time="13:40:02.681+-60" date="02-13-2008" component="CreateTsMedia" context="" type="1" thread="3912" file="stagecertificate.cpp:1038">
    <![LOG[Generating self-signed certificate]LOG]!><time="13:40:02.681+-60" date="02-13-2008" component="CreateTsMedia" context="" type="1" thread="3912" file="stagecertificate.cpp:158">

Friday, February 15, 2008 9:49 AM
  • The error code 2147749889 is equivalent 0x80041001, which is a generic failure in WMI.  You might try stopping and restarting the WMI service (on the computer that is running the SMS provider, which is likely the computer running the site server role), or shutting down and rebooting the computer running the SMS provider.  Then see if the error recurs.

Friday, February 15, 2008 11:07 PM
  • Hi Michael,

I have restarted the server several times, but it didn't help....

I am under pressure to get OS Deployment up and running so I have now reinstalled(uninst/inst) SCCM, but with the same depressing result...

Brgds,

Monday, February 18, 2008 11:41 AM
  • Did you find a resolution on this problem?   Based on the error code, there's still some kind of WMI problem that needs to get resolved.  ConfigMgr has a lot of dependencies on WMI, so if WMI is failing I would expect you to see other kinds of errors as well.

Friday, February 29, 2008 9:58 PM
  • I have the same problem when importing new XML i can create new but when i import from another computer i get the same error.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 7:41 AM
  •  

I'm likely coming late to this thread, but if someone can recreate this problem, and post a snippet from the smsprov.log and tasksequenceprovider.log, I'd love to take a look.

There's a couple gotcha's found on other threads, but this error code looks different.  Here's what we have seen out in the field (error code typically show in error details or in smsprov.log):

Generic error, but two known gotchas are:

But don't think I've seen this error code (0x80041013) before, so I'm interested in finding out more.  If you have this issue, please post with the log snippets from smsprov.log and tasksequenceprovider.log for the time of the error.  Thanks so much!

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 8:40 PM
  • Hello!

If i only restarted the SCCM server i was able to import.

And this should be solved with SP1:an if i am not totally wrong.

Thursday, June 19, 2008 9:21 AM
  • That symptom sounds a lot like the SaveToXml issue (ie: you get an error when you import task sequences with credentials into a site).   That issue was fixed in SP1.

But this is a guess based on symptoms.  If you give me a clip of your TasksequenceProvider.log, I can tell for sure.

Thursday, June 19, 2008 4:24 PM
  • SCCM 2007 SP1 - Fresh Production install

Getting this exact error when trying to adding imported drivers to a driver package.

SMSADMINUI.LOG shows the following

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

[4][6/20/2008 12:49:17 PM] :Help topic not found in 'HelpTopicLinks.xml' for topic ID: '7e96e251-ed74-4905-87c0-77d082a5fa4d'
    [9][6/20/2008 12:49:35 PM] Tongue Tiedystem.Management.ManagementException\r\nGeneric failure \r\n   at System.Management.ManagementException.ThrowWithExtendedInfo(ManagementStatus errorCode)
       at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlResultObject.ExecuteMethod(String methodName, Dictionary`2 methodParameters)\r\nManagementException details:
    {
     Description = "Failed to create destination directory for the contentfiles under the package source folder.";
     ErrorCode = 1078462229;
     File = "e:\\nts_sms_fre\\sms\\siteserver\\sdk_provider\\smsprov\\ssppackage.cpp";
     Line = 3579;
     ParameterInfo = "SMS_DriverPackage.PackageID=\"NDC0000D\"";
     StatusCode = 2147749889;
    };
    \r\n
    [9][6/20/2008 12:49:35 PM] :Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlQueryException\r\nThe ConfigMgr Provider reported an error.\r\n   at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlResultObject.ExecuteMethod(String methodName, Dictionary`2 methodParameters)
       at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.AdminConsole.Driver.PackagesToDriversControl.UpdatePackage(PackageInfo packageInfo)\r\nConfigMgr Error Object:
    {
     Description = "Failed to create destination directory for the contentfiles under the package source folder.";
     ErrorCode = 1078462229;
     File = "e:\\nts_sms_fre\\sms\\siteserver\\sdk_provider\\smsprov\\ssppackage.cpp";
     Line = 3579;
     StatusCode = 2147749889;
    };
       at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlResultObject.ExecuteMethod(String methodName, Dictionary`2 methodParameters)\r\nManagementException details:
    {
     ErrorCode = 1078462229;
     Line = 3579;
     StatusCode = 2147749889;
    };
    \r\n
    [9][6/20/2008 12:49:35 PM] :Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlQueryException\r\nThe ConfigMgr Provider reported an error.\r\n   at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlResultObject.ExecuteMethod(String methodName, Dictionary`2 methodParameters)
       at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.AdminConsole.Driver.PackagesToDriversControl.UpdatePackage(PackageInfo packageInfo)\r\nConfigMgr Error Object:
    {
     ErrorCode = 1078462229;
     Line = 3579;
     StatusCode = 2147749889;
    };
    {
     ErrorCode = 1078462229;
     Line = 3579;
     StatusCode = 2147749889;
    };
    \r\n
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Running a Filemon does not show any errors  -  This is similar in the WMI error code

This is STOPPING a PRODUCTION rollout.  Please help

Thanks

Tim

Friday, June 20, 2008 4:52 PM
  • Tim!  How ya doing man!

I'll ask our local driver expert... but offhand I *think* this might be a credentials/access problem.  The provider is trying to access your driver source using the system account, and if your driver source is on the network, it likely fails.  Copy your driver directory local and try to import that way.

Friday, June 20, 2008 4:56 PM
  • FYI, if you have a task that is made in the SCCM with MDT settings and try importing it in a enviroment that does not have the MDT integrated into the SCCM, it will also fail.

//C

Monday, June 23, 2008 5:43 AM
  • BTW, the local expert agreed with my hunch.  The provider can't get to your driver files to import them.  Copy them local and you should be able to import.

Doyle

Monday, June 23, 2008 4:04 PM
  • Hi Tim,

I believe Doyle is correct.  The log seems to indicate that we are failing to copy the driver into the driver package.  This is done using the system account on the SMS Provider machine – so please double check that it has read access to the driver source and write access to the driver package directory.

Thanks,

-- Brett

Monday, June 23, 2008 6:52 PM
  • I'm getting this error message while trying to add a driver to a driver package. I just imported the Intel Matrix storage drivers for a Dell Optiplex 760 system, which is iaAHCI.inf and iastor.inf:

[version]
    CatalogFile=iaAHCI.cat
    Signature="$WINDOWS NT$"
    Class=hdc
    ClassGuid={4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    Provider=%INTEL%
    DriverVer=12/11/2008,8.7.1.1001

[version]
    CatalogFile=iaStor.cat
    Signature="$WINDOWS NT$"
    Class=SCSIAdapter
    ClassGUID={4D36E97B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    Provider=%INTEL%
    DriverVer=12/11/2008,8.7.1.1001

Error: "Failed to create destination directory for the contentfiles under the package source folder"

Trevor Sullivan
    Systems Engineer
    OfficeMax Corporation
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 8:43 PM
  • Well, I fixed it ... I simply used the administrative share (\\server\c$\packages) instead of using the share name (\\server\packages). I think I've run into this problem before, but forgot how I had created my other driver packages.

Trevor Sullivan
    Systems Engineer
    OfficeMax Corporation

• Proposed as answer by IBMMarc Thursday, October 15, 2009 3:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by Garth JonesMVP Saturday, December 19, 2015 8:08 PM
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 5:53 PM
  • Well, I fixed it ... I simply used the administrative share (\\server\c$\packages ) instead of using the share name (\\server\packages ). I think I've run into this problem before, but forgot how I had created my other driver packages.

Trevor Sullivan
    Systems Engineer
    OfficeMax Corporation

I had the same issue and fixed it by rebooting the database server.
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 3:42 AM
  • restarting the WMI service should also resolve, but do it on the SMS Provider server (the one that hosts your SQL database for SCCM)

My step by step SCCM Guides
    I'm on Twitter > ncbrady
    • Proposed as answer by OingoBo Friday, March 4, 2011 7:00 PM
    Friday, August 27, 2010 9:55 AM