802.1x - Unable to do user authentication (wired) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I have computers who's set up for 802.1x wired properly using GPO. We have user or computer authentication on our GPO. But when I log on a computer, the authentication still use the computer name instead of my username. And since we have different VLANs configuration for user or computer, i'm not on the proper VLAN. Is there anything I can check or setup. Is it the switch we're using? The computer? I don't know where I should begin.

Thanks!

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 3:53 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that wired 802.1x client failed to re-authenticated with log on user name.

You may try to configure the Authentication Mode as User re-authentication by Group Policy.

With user re-authentication, when users are not logged on to the computer, authentication is performed using the computer credentials. After a user logs on to the computer, authentication is performed using the user credentials. When a user logs off of the computer, authentication is performed using the computer credentials.

Detailed setting step you may reference the link below:
    IEEE 802.1X Wired Authentication
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2008.02.cableguy.aspx

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 23, 2015 3:06 AM