manual change bar RRS feed

• Question

• i am making changes to a manual and want to have an indicator, on the left side of the page, so when they are printed it will show the user what paragraphs were changed from their last version. can this be done in word?
    Thursday, May 24, 2012 2:50 PM

Answers

• To get what you want, you'll also have to change the settings in the markup section of the Track Changes Options dialog.  Change insertions to none and deletions to hidden.  Changed lines should be left border

This will work well for print or pdf delivery (print or save showing markup).  If you are delivering Word documents, you'll have to tell readers how to change the settings themselves, though there may be a way to do it for them with an AutoOpen a macro. 

• Edited by PamCaswell Thursday, May 24, 2012 11:36 PM clarification
    • Marked as answer by Jaynet Zhang Monday, May 28, 2012 1:30 AM
    Thursday, May 24, 2012 11:35 PM

All replies

• Turn on "track changes". In Word 2007/2010, the Track Changes button can be found on the Review tab of the ribbon, and in earlier versions on the Reviewing toolbar. You can also press Ctrl+Shift+E to turn Track Changes on/off.

Regards, Hans Vogelaar

Thursday, May 24, 2012 3:10 PM
  • won't that allow for review/track. but what i need is just the bar down the left side of the 'accepted' changes, after editing( and then the indicator would disappear will it not?) to be printed along with the new text in final form?

thanks for your help

Thursday, May 24, 2012 3:14 PM
  • If you turn on Track Changes, each change in the document will be marked. If you then accept (or reject) these changes, the markings will be removed. So if you want your changes to be visible, you shouldn't accept them yet.

Another possibility is to edit a copy of the document without turning on Track Changes, then use the Compare feature (also on the Review tab of the ribbon) to compare the old and new versions.

Regards, Hans Vogelaar

Thursday, May 24, 2012 3:46 PM
  • sorry but that is not exactly what i need. as you see other manuals they have a change bar on the left hand margin indicating to the reader that this paragraph is changed from the previous published manaual.

while we will be tracking changes internally, and after review accept those changes, the change indicator that i am looking for still needs to be present at printing/publishing time. if it is not possible then ok, but given all the examples that are out thier,l i thought it can be done by work

Thursday, May 24, 2012 4:19 PM
  • Track changes is the only way to add the change bars automatically. You can add them manually of course, but that'd be a hassle...

Regards, Hans Vogelaar

Thursday, May 24, 2012 4:38 PM
  • To get what you want, you'll also have to change the settings in the markup section of the Track Changes Options dialog.  Change insertions to none and deletions to hidden.  Changed lines should be left border

This will work well for print or pdf delivery (print or save showing markup).  If you are delivering Word documents, you'll have to tell readers how to change the settings themselves, though there may be a way to do it for them with an AutoOpen a macro. 

• Edited by PamCaswell Thursday, May 24, 2012 11:36 PM clarification
    • Marked as answer by Jaynet Zhang Monday, May 28, 2012 1:30 AM
    Thursday, May 24, 2012 11:35 PM
  • The feature you are looking for is not covered by "track changes" in the conventional sense.   Track changes is designed for internal document review not for a formal configuration management or change notification.

Unfortunately, as best I can tell, Word does not seem to support this type of formal change notification / indication method.   I am sure it can be faked with "track changes" but that is not what you want; and it is a VERY bad idea to have a formally released document with unaccepted changes.   For your application, the change bar must be present all the time - just like the text.   The other disadvantage of faking it with track changes is that any minor formatting changes will show up as formal - reportable - changes. 

It is possible that a drawn shape (line) anchored properly to the changed text (not the page) might work for you.  Manually draw the bar and set it at an absolute horizontal offset relative to the text.   Just be consistent with your selected offset.

This "works" but is far from automatic.

Monday, July 20, 2020 11:42 PM
  • The feature you are looking for is not covered by "track changes" in the conventional sense.   Track changes is designed for internal document review not for a formal configuration management or change notification.

Unfortunately, as best I can tell, Word does not seem to support this type of formal change notification / indication method.   I am sure it can be faked with "track changes" but that is not what you want; and it is a VERY bad idea to have a formally released document with unaccepted changes.   For your application, the change bar must be present all the time - just like the text.   The other disadvantage of faking it with track changes is that any minor formatting changes will show up as formal - reportable - changes. 

It is possible that a drawn shape (line) anchored properly to the changed text (not the page) might work for you.  Manually draw the bar and set it at an absolute horizontal offset relative to the text.   Just be consistent with your selected offset.

This "works" but is far from automatic.

I'm afraid that "as best I can tell" is not good enough.

Pam Caswell pointed the way eight years ago. Her answer is still correct. Track Changes handles this quite adequately. What is being requested is "legal blacklining." It has been part of Track Changes since it was introduced.

Track Changes

Word is not a simple program even though Microsoft would like us all to believe otherwise.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Tuesday, July 21, 2020 3:42 AM