Forefront Client Security Updates RRS feed

• Question

• Currently we use Microsoft Forefront Client Security and love it. However since it is running on 200 or so lab machines, when they all boot up at 7am, the updates are saturating our internet bandwidth.  I'd like to know if the Forefront Server Security Management Console is a place where I can manage these updates?  We do not run Exchange or Sharepoint.  Does WSUS allow you to download Forefront virus updates?  I'm a little new in this area...
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 8:13 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for the post.

“I'd like to know if the Forefront Server Security Management Console is a place where I can manage these updates? ” - Forefront Server Security Management Console allows administrators to manage Forefront Security for Exchange Server, Forefront Security for SharePoint, and Microsoft Antigen, providing a Web-based console to centralize configuration and operation, automate the download and distribution of signature and scan engine updates, and generate comprehensive reports. It is not related to Forefront Client Security.

Does WSUS allow you to download Forefront virus updates? “ – yes, Client Security uses WSUS to download the agent components and definition and engine updates from Microsoft Update.

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by bjp106 Friday, October 29, 2010 1:18 PM
    Friday, October 29, 2010 4:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for the post.

“I'd like to know if the Forefront Server Security Management Console is a place where I can manage these updates? ” - Forefront Server Security Management Console allows administrators to manage Forefront Security for Exchange Server, Forefront Security for SharePoint, and Microsoft Antigen, providing a Web-based console to centralize configuration and operation, automate the download and distribution of signature and scan engine updates, and generate comprehensive reports. It is not related to Forefront Client Security.

Does WSUS allow you to download Forefront virus updates? “ – yes, Client Security uses WSUS to download the agent components and definition and engine updates from Microsoft Update.

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by bjp106 Friday, October 29, 2010 1:18 PM
    Friday, October 29, 2010 4:42 AM
  • ok, I had read that description before, but I thought "distribution of signature and scan engine updates" was what I was looking for. Thanks.
    Friday, October 29, 2010 1:18 PM