Users getting Disconnected RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,  We have a Server 2008R2 Term server setup.  Have the sessions settings to never disconnect.  But users are still getting disconnected after 10 minutes or so if Idle time.  No idea why it starting doing this.  It just started happening about a week ago and I can't figure it out.  It's a member server in a SBS 2011 domain. 

Thanks

Brian

Tuesday, March 8, 2016 12:57 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Brian,

Have the sessions settings to never disconnect.  But users are still getting disconnected after 10 minutes or so if Idle time.

As far as I know, there is no “never disconnect” setting, do you mean “End a disconnected session” setting as the screenshot below shows?

Seems like session time limit for idle session has been configured.

If that’s the case, please run GPresult.exe on Terminal server, since this setting can also be configured via group policy.

More information for you:

Gpresult

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc733160.aspx

Session Time Limits

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee791886(v=ws.10).aspx

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Amy Wang_ Tuesday, March 8, 2016 8:32 AM
    Tuesday, March 8, 2016 8:30 AM
  • So I meant to say Active session limit is set to never.  All the session setting are set to never.  They have been and it had be working fine. They are set just as the pic you have shows. 
    Tuesday, March 8, 2016 11:59 AM
  • Hi Brian,

Please also check applied group policy settings with the method I have mentioned above.

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Amy Wang_ Wednesday, March 9, 2016 1:56 AM
    Wednesday, March 9, 2016 1:55 AM
  • Ok thanks,  I will let you know. 
    Thursday, March 17, 2016 1:10 PM
  • I ran a GPresult and it showed nothing as far as Remote Desktop goes.
    Thursday, March 17, 2016 1:55 PM
  • Hi Brian,

Please check the following registry path to see whether related setting is specified there:

HKEY_Local_Machine\ SOFTWARE \ Policies \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ Terminal Services

Here is a related thread below for you:

Session setting "When a session limit is reached or broken: End the session" does not function since Server 2003

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/3f799d9b-ba36-4a2e-b348-d7638907fc31/session-setting-when-a-session-limit-is-reached-or-broken-end-the-session-does-not-function-since?forum=winserverTS#a3283b4c-cf16-4c85-bb89-bbeb0e2b262a

Best Regards,

Amy

• Proposed as answer by Amy Wang_ Thursday, March 24, 2016 11:18 AM
    • Marked as answer by Amy Wang_ Thursday, March 31, 2016 3:10 AM
    Friday, March 18, 2016 6:01 AM
  • Brian,

What is your Group Policy refresh interval?  Does it coincide with the time when users are getting forcibly disconnected?

This blog article, while written for Windows 7, discusses a scenario where during a Group Policy refresh certain TS-related keys can be temporarily deleted and then written back, which can inadvertently disconnect users.

http://www.sjogrens.nu/?p=81

Curious as to whether or not this could be impacting you.  Maybe not, if you don't have any TS related GPO entries defined, per GPResult.  Worth checking though.

Friday, March 18, 2016 11:04 AM
  • Also, does this repeated disconnect also affect local LAN connections to the terminal server, or ONLY WAN connections through your firewall/gateway?  That's an easy experiment to do.  If the latter, I wonder if you have a issue with your firewall settings.

Friday, March 18, 2016 11:15 AM
  • Both, I tried it which is from the outside and it was doing the same thing.  
    Thursday, March 24, 2016 11:55 AM
  • Hi Brian,

Was the registry checked?

Best Regards,

Amy

Friday, March 25, 2016 9:11 AM
  • Yes it has..[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server] “fDenyTSConnections”=dword:00000000

The other Session settings are 0.   Sorry for the delay in responding. 

Friday, April 8, 2016 4:37 PM
  • Hi Brian,

Please check each remote desktop session host in the farm.

If session time limits are not configured with TS GUI or Group Policy setting, I suspect that it could be configured by scripts, scheduled tasks or third party programs.

You may use Process Monitor to further analyze the behavior.

Process Monitor v3.2

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645

Best Regards,

Amy

Monday, April 11, 2016 2:55 AM