none
Archiving a project using deny on category permissions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,
    I have an use case where a user is a member of the Project Managers group.
    The group is associated with three categories:
        My Organisation - gives read access to all projects,
        My Projects gives read/write access to projects where the user is the owner or on the team,
        and a custom category "Archived Projects" with Deny access to all category level permissions.

The "Archived Projects" category contains "only the projects indicated" ie projects are manually placed in this category.

There is one project in the Archived Projects category which I expected would deny access to it for the user, however it seems that because the My Organisation category grants access to the same project - the user can see the project in PWA.

When he clicks into it he gets a message "This site has not been shared with you" so the Deny is doing something - but not taking the project out of the Project Centre view and MSP open project view.

Can someone explain if this is expected behaviour and if so why. I thought DENY always overwrote Allow and the Deny permission to

Many thanks. Franko

• Edited by Franko 123 Thursday, November 12, 2015 10:51 PM
    Thursday, November 12, 2015 10:25 PM

Answers

• Hi Franko,

did you add alle Project Center views to your category "Archived Projects"? Permissions on categories are not only based on Group - Category relation, but also on view definitions. When your Project Center views are not added to "Archived Projects", users may see projects in these views because they have access to projects in this view because of My Organization. Just when accessing, he will get the deny because of "Deny" for Open on Group/Category level.

Regards
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

• Marked as answer by Franko 123 Monday, November 16, 2015 6:16 AM
    Friday, November 13, 2015 8:00 AM

All replies

• Hi Franko,

did you add alle Project Center views to your category "Archived Projects"? Permissions on categories are not only based on Group - Category relation, but also on view definitions. When your Project Center views are not added to "Archived Projects", users may see projects in these views because they have access to projects in this view because of My Organization. Just when accessing, he will get the deny because of "Deny" for Open on Group/Category level.

Regards
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

• Marked as answer by Franko 123 Monday, November 16, 2015 6:16 AM
    Friday, November 13, 2015 8:00 AM
  • Thanks a lot Barbara the views not being associated with the category was the problem... Appreciate your help.
    Monday, November 16, 2015 6:17 AM