Unable to install iTunes 9 in Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• When I attempt to install iTunes 9 in Windows 7 Ultimate, the install hangs about 3/4 through. Progress bar stops. No error messages. I have used Admin rights to install, but have not yet tried it using Win XP compatibility.

I have waited more than 15 minutes with this and nothing changes.
    If I try to end the install process from TM, that hangs too. Then, I try to shut down, and that hangs.
    I end up pressing hard reset. Only way to get my machine back.

I have tried this twice, even after restoring a previous image.

FW
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 7:31 PM

Answers

• Hello FW,

First download the latest iTunes software again from the Apple official website,

Download iTunes Now

If it does not work on your issue, I'd suggest you installing the application in Compatibility mode. Remove and rescan that hardware device in Device Manager, right-click on the driver executable/installer file -> Properties and select the Compatibility tab; click the checkbox before Run this program in Compatibility mode for option and select Windows Vista in the list-down box; then try installing the device driver via Run as administrator. In addition, you can use the Windows XP Compatibility for testing.

Since you installed Windows 7 Ultimate version on the computer, you might try installing the application in Windows 7 XP mode. For more information, please refer to the following hyperlink.

Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC Home

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Friday, December 4, 2009 6:27 AM
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 10:02 AM

All replies

• Hello FW,

First download the latest iTunes software again from the Apple official website,

Download iTunes Now

If it does not work on your issue, I'd suggest you installing the application in Compatibility mode. Remove and rescan that hardware device in Device Manager, right-click on the driver executable/installer file -> Properties and select the Compatibility tab; click the checkbox before Run this program in Compatibility mode for option and select Windows Vista in the list-down box; then try installing the device driver via Run as administrator. In addition, you can use the Windows XP Compatibility for testing.

Since you installed Windows 7 Ultimate version on the computer, you might try installing the application in Windows 7 XP mode. For more information, please refer to the following hyperlink.

Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC Home

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Friday, December 4, 2009 6:27 AM
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 10:02 AM
  • I have tried installing iTunes in Win XP compatibility with admin privs. The install now completes, but when I try to run iTunes, I get error 7. "iTunes was not installed correctly"

I am going to try re-installing (without removing any files). This is the only solution I have not yet tried.

FW
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 10:03 PM
  • To follow up on this itunes issue;
    I had to re-install Windows.
    I had tried everything else, and this option was the only one left, so I went with it.
    After the fresh install (formatted the drive), I installed itunes 9 without any problems, and now itunes runs fine.

I think the problem might have been Norton Internet Security 2010, which had been the first thing I installed once Windows was running.
    I am now using the Microsoft Security Essentials instead of Norton. So far, so good.
    Maybe I can get a couple of other programs (games) to run on Win 7 that didn't before.

FW
    Friday, December 11, 2009 11:30 PM
  • i have no problem in my 32bit windows 7

Did you have a 64bit windows but a 32bit iTunes 9?
    486~C2D user
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 5:24 PM
  • I had a simular issue installing iTunes on my Windows 7 Home Premium.   The solution was to copy the file from another computer on to and external drive, and install from that.   It worked with no issues and work perfectly.   I found out that there are some issues with installing files when downloaded from the internet and being connected to a routher and not directly to the modem.   Hope this helps out???!!!
    • Proposed as answer by EMT Spider Thursday, February 25, 2010 6:07 PM
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 6:06 PM
  • Hi Andy

I have this same problem with Windoes 7 Enterprise, 32 bit. I followed your intructions, and have installed iTunes no problem.

However, when I go to open it or try to access any music, I get the error message "The iTunes application could not be opened, an unexpected error occured".

This is after un-installing and re-installing 3 times.

May idea?

Thanks
    Martina
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 8:23 PM
  • Had any luck with 32bit enterprise? im still having issues and tried various compatibility options
    Saturday, April 10, 2010 3:45 AM
  • I had the same issue. Could get my iPhone to sync to it either. I was on the phone with Apple for 3 hours and they finally admitted that the download from the Apple website will not install on a windows 7 64 bit machine ... something about a windows compatibility issue ... umm .... I have over $2000 in software downloads on iTunes that I paid for that I cannot access ... even after I searched and found another download from the Apple website for specifically a 64 bit download for Windows 7 and Vista. ::sigh:: Switched my iPhone to a Blackberry (sold my iPhone) it wasn't the iPhone that was the issue. It was iTunes and windows 7. I'm going back to a Mac. This is one of the reasons I switched to a Mac to begin with and it proves that you really DO get what you pay for.

I really thought Windows 7 was different. Microsoft still has grudges against anything Apple. I thought wrong.

Sunday, April 18, 2010 2:53 PM
  • I agree with you totally there, I switched to apple, being a dj in my spare time for reliability reasons, Im only back with windows because unfortunally in the real world the majority rules which means if I want work in IT, particually here in New Zeland I have to be Microsoft certified, so ive moved back to windows for work reasons, would have been nice to get itunes running.

On a side note. I like using Windows Media Centre its very clean and responsive, acutally better than frontrow in my opinion, but windows media player is just horrible, the look the feel, just so clinical.

Monday, April 19, 2010 2:20 AM
  • Just an FYI,

For me it was my browser, I was using chrome.  It worked in IE8 without a hitch.  Hope this helps.

• Proposed as answer by Robin DiCicco Monday, April 11, 2011 6:01 PM
    Monday, April 26, 2010 11:13 PM
  • i had this same problem, and couldn't solve it for months, but i read somewhere that if download itunes unto an external hard drive (usb in my case) then u can install it from there. I tried it from IE8 download it and saved it straight to my usb, i then double clicked on it after it had saved on usb and VOILA i was finally able to install Itunes 9.2 for windows 7 64bit
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 1:56 AM
  • HI All,

Thought I would share my experience with you. Was upgrading from version 8 of itunes to 9.2 on a Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit installation. The installer failed at what seemed to be the Quicktime install. When I cancelled the upgrade and tried to start it again it said that another install was in progress. Therefore I had to restart the machine.

On restart i removed via Add/Remove programs all traces of Apple, downloaded the 64bit installer from the Itunes website.

On install everything worked perfectly and it did not stick at Quicktime. Something tells me that the update/install originally fell over at trying to uninstall and re-install the latest version of Quicktime although I had no other programs running. When I check the error log I can see

Product: iTunes -- The installation of QuickTime did not complete successfully. iTunes requires QuickTime.

This in its self it strange because I could start quicktime separately and this worked correctly.

Hope this helps

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 4:33 PM
  • Hey everyone,

A friend of mine helped me solve this problem and hopefully this might help you folks out a bit. Check your Windows Update folder in Control Panel --> System and Security --> Windows Update folder.

Sometimes the issue is with the c++ installer and if there are no windows updates either, then you have to reinstall Windows and the drivers. That solved the problem for me, and hopefully it does for you as well.

Monday, August 2, 2010 9:28 PM
  • Hello,

I saved the Itunes folder into my USB and copied it on the desktop of my computer with win 7, but now, how do I install it? I see the folder, but that is it.

Thanks!

Monday, November 22, 2010 4:00 AM
  • Hello,

I saved the Itunes folder into my USB and copied it on the desktop of my computer with win 7, but now, how do I install it? I see the folder, but that is it.

Thanks!

Monday, November 22, 2010 4:01 AM
  • I had the same problems described here (itunes on windows 7 64bit) i tried administrtor and compatibility mode, didn't work

the solution i found was to download from this website http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4722-apple-itunes-for-windows-64bit.html

it still seems to be from the apple servers but it works, so try this

• Proposed as answer by rugbyfred Tuesday, November 29, 2011 6:29 PM
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 2:08 PM
  • i have just spent 3 days on this. and i have  cracked it. down load latest version. in my case 64 bit version.

to desk top. make a new folder and get yourself. get winrar. open new folder, right click itunes installer and drag into the new folder and extract. when you see what it extracts look for apple software up date. it does not update it puts the bloody lot in and quick time cloude the lot just double click the update. and be online, worked for me. spread the word.  all the very best rugby fred. i am the man. because i have noticed there are thousands in the same boat as you and me. all the best fred

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 6:18 PM
  • i have just spent 3 days on this. and i have  cracked it. down load latest version. in my case 64 bit version.

to desk top. make a new folder and get yourself. get winrar. open new folder, right click itunes installer and drag into the new folder and extract. when you see what it extracts look for apple software up date. it does not update it puts the bloody lot in and quick time cloude the lot just double click the update. and be online, worked for me. spread the word.  all the very best rugby fred. i am the man. because i have noticed there are thousands in the same boat as you and me. all the best fred

rugbyfred
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 6:30 PM

rugbyfred
    • Proposed as answer by rugbyfred Tuesday, November 29, 2011 6:32 PM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 6:31 PM

rugbyfred
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 6:33 PM