Best way to achieve mandatory profiles for this scenario. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've been asked to have a look at locking down some PCs in locations with poor network connections.

I had hoped to use a mandatory profile and have the profile reset to default after each user logged off but I have been struggling to get it to work, possibly I am doing it the wrong way.

• I have set up a local profile on the PC and set it up as I want the profile to be.
    • I have copied the profile into the Default User profile and renamed the ntuser.dat to ntuser.man

I was under the impression that any user who had not previously logged in would then be set the same profile as the Default User and would not be able to save any files within the profile. i.e. if a user saved a document to the desktop, it would reset the profile on log off and the document would no longer be in the users profile.

My new profiles are all being created and state they are mandatory but anything I save to desktop etc is still there after a logoff and logon.

Am i doing something wrong or do I have the wrong end of the stick or something?

I know I could set a mandatory roaming profile for the users but would like to avoid that on account of the very slow network links to these sites.

My ultimate goal is to have these particular PCs set up so as the users cannot save anything to them or if they do, that they will be cleared out on logoff. Does that make sense?

The only alternative I could think of would be to use group policy to hide the c:\ and redirect the my docs \ pics \ desktop etc to a read only share.

Cheers,

Jonathan 

Friday, September 14, 2012 1:01 PM

Answers

• Hi Jonathan

Mandatory profiles have to be roaming profiles and can;t be locked down to a specific PC. They are profile specific and not compture specific. A mandatory roaming profiel will be mandatory no matter what PC you log into and a non- mandatory profile will be non-madatory no matter where you log into.

If you want to lock down a particular set of PC's then you might look at using policy or a specific app like Deep Freeze.

Cheers

Mr P

• Marked as answer by J Gledhill Friday, September 14, 2012 3:35 PM
    Friday, September 14, 2012 1:52 PM

All replies

• Hi Jonathan

Mandatory profiles have to be roaming profiles and can;t be locked down to a specific PC. They are profile specific and not compture specific. A mandatory roaming profiel will be mandatory no matter what PC you log into and a non- mandatory profile will be non-madatory no matter where you log into.

If you want to lock down a particular set of PC's then you might look at using policy or a specific app like Deep Freeze.

Cheers

Mr P

• Marked as answer by J Gledhill Friday, September 14, 2012 3:35 PM
    Friday, September 14, 2012 1:52 PM
  • Thats great, thanks for clearing that up for me.
    Friday, September 14, 2012 3:35 PM
  • Thanks Mr P

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 3:48 PM