none
DPM Setup detected that the SQL server provided is not clustered RRS feed

• Question

• Hello gentlemen, I wonder if any bold person has tried DPM 2012 R2 in a clustered environment already. I have a lab, where DPM works like a charm when connecting to a Clustered SQL and a separate SSRS instance.

In production, it doesn't seem to like my cluster. I have checked names, I can see the DB clustered in FOCM and I can log on to it via Management Studio. No problem.

Any ideas?

MCITP, MCSE, MCTS

Thursday, November 21, 2013 5:58 PM

Answers

• Well, it seems DPM doesn't detect you are missing the SQL Management tools and intereprets that as if the SQL is not a clustered instance.

You can see that in the DPMLog setup log:

[2013-11-21 2:17:54 PM] * Exception :  => System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
    File name: 'Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91'
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Helpers.MiscHelper.IsSqlClustered(String sqlMachineName, String sqlInstanceName)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Helpers.MiscHelper.IsMachineClustered(String sqlMachineName, String sqlInstanceName)

After installing the management tools (basic, no SDK stuff), setup works fine. There go 3 hours of my life...:(

MCITP, MCSE, MCTS

Thursday, November 21, 2013 8:47 PM

All replies

• Well, it seems DPM doesn't detect you are missing the SQL Management tools and intereprets that as if the SQL is not a clustered instance.

You can see that in the DPMLog setup log:

[2013-11-21 2:17:54 PM] * Exception :  => System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
    File name: 'Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91'
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Helpers.MiscHelper.IsSqlClustered(String sqlMachineName, String sqlInstanceName)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Setup.Helpers.MiscHelper.IsMachineClustered(String sqlMachineName, String sqlInstanceName)

After installing the management tools (basic, no SDK stuff), setup works fine. There go 3 hours of my life...:(

MCITP, MCSE, MCTS

Thursday, November 21, 2013 8:47 PM
  • Just came across the same issue.  You article saved me 3 hours of my life!  Thanks :)
    Monday, March 17, 2014 9:58 AM