VDI Pooled Collection Creation - What is the IMGS Folder for? RRS feed

• Question

• Regarding VDI and how a pooled collection is created.  

1.  I have a pooled collection that I have about VMs running only Published apps not the full desktop

2.  Started with only about 3 VMs then slowly added every couple of days more VMs to the collection

When I look the folder structure of where everything is being stored a see a few things.

I can see where the Parent image template is stored and all of the VMs by name are stored, Because they coincide with the names of the folders.  My question is why do I have this "IMGS" folder at the top, and why does it have 7 different VHDX folder that are about 40Gb a piece?  I have attached photos of the files to show what I mean,  I really want to know if it is ok for me to remove these files because they are taking up 300Gb+ of valuable SSD storage space.

Friday, October 28, 2016 12:59 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I can see where the Parent image template is stored and all of the VMs by name are stored, Because they coincide with the names of the folders.  My question is why do I have this "IMGS" folder at the top, and why does it have 7 different VHDX folder that are about 40Gb a piece?  

>>>In my opinion, the IMGS(maybe means images) folder may create by someone.

And the VHDX file, VHDX is a Hyper-V virtual hard disk (VHD)format found in Windows Server 2012.

In my opinion, those VHDX files may be the images of your Hyper-V VM. Just like my environment.

Here is an article below about VHDX for your reference.

Hyper-V Virtual Hard Disk Format Overview

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831446(v=ws.11).aspx

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 31, 2016 9:00 AM
  • Monday, October 31, 2016 11:28 AM
  • I can see the VHDX files,  but What I do not understand is what is inside the IMGS folder at the top.

the _1, _2,_3 ect....     the all have an image inside each of those folders that are as large as the Gold Image.

Why would that be there? 

Monday, October 31, 2016 11:33 AM