Gadgets not working correctly after upgrading to Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I have just upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate 64 RTM (from Windows Vista Ultimate 64) thanks to my MSDN subscription.

It's nice to see the Sidebar is gone and you can put Gadgets anywhere, but... I am finding that none of them are functioning correctly. In particular, if I edit their options any changes I've made are forgotten the moment I OK them, while sometimes new Gadgets appear blank/empty and don't work at all.

For example. I have an existing Slideshow Gadget on my desktop, remembered from before the upgrade. However the upgrade changed the path of my "Documents" folder to "My Documents", and my "Pictures" folder to "My Pictures", so what was "D:\Documents\Pictures" is now "D:\My Documents\My Pictures". The Slideshow Gadget therefore cannot find any pictures to display. If I hover over the Gadget and bring up the Options dialog, it allows me to change (among other things) the folder path, which I do. I click OK - but the problem still happens. Opening the Options dialog again shows my changes were ignored. (The same applies if I change to a different path, or change any other setting).

Another example. I right-click on the Desktop and go to Gadgets. The Gadget Gallery appears. I drag, say, the Outlook Appointments Gadget onto my desktop, and it shows up blank (as if I had no appointments). Furthermore, I cannot move it, and hovering over it does not bring up the icon bar that offers the Options menu etc. However, dragging a second Outlook Appointments Gadget onto the Desktop does the same again, except, it moves the first such Gadget into the top right of the screen, fills it with appointments, it can be moved, and hovering over it brings up the icon bar and allows editing the Options (although, as described above, any changes I make to the Options are forgotten/ignored as soon as I click OK). In any case, the most recently added Gadget (blank and unmovable) remains in place, cannot be moved or closed, stays topmost etc.

Having done a web search for similar issues, I have UAC set to the highest level, and have modified the ownership/permissions of sidebar.exe, as well as restarting both the exe and Windows itself several times.

Can anyone suggest how I can make Gadgets work? I thought Windows 7 was supposed to be "like Vista but it works", and so far I'm really not finding that to be the case.
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP Monday, August 24, 2009 7:50 PM Moved to proper category (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Monday, August 24, 2009 7:03 PM

Answers

• I had similar problems after upgrading from Vista to Windows 7. I got them working by deleting the file C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar\Settings.ini and lettings Windows re-build the file. I'm guessing some settings in that file are not compatible with Windows 7.

- Kimmo V.

• Marked as answer by Andy Patrick Tuesday, August 25, 2009 6:48 AM
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 5:51 AM

All replies

• I had similar problems after upgrading from Vista to Windows 7. I got them working by deleting the file C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar\Settings.ini and lettings Windows re-build the file. I'm guessing some settings in that file are not compatible with Windows 7.

- Kimmo V.

• Marked as answer by Andy Patrick Tuesday, August 25, 2009 6:48 AM
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 5:51 AM
  • Perfect! Many thanks.
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 6:48 AM
  • I cannot delete this file.  I tried closing all the gadgets, but Windows thinks I'm still using the Settings.ini file.
    Tuesday, November 19, 2013 6:19 AM