Preview Pane issue for Microsoft Word 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• This issue came up from our customer. Please find the details below.

Microsoft office professional Plus 2010

Issue : When previewing files in Windows explorer, the "Down Arrow" key, when pressed, navigates from one file to another (expected behavior). In between, if we have a Word file of multiple pages, the key stroke is shifted to Preview pane. The pages in the word file (@ preview pane) starts scrolling down.

This is not the case, when you have Microsoft word running at the background. When I tried the same, after opening Microsoft word, the "Down Arrow" key navigates from one word file to another (as expected).

Why is this happening? Kindly suggest.

Note: I checked a similar question in http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/337932b2-0c00-4ac0-8ab7-0c6bf4be5e64/preview-pane-pain?forum=w7itproui. But that did not help

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 9:13 PM

All replies

• Issue : When previewing files in Windows explorer, the "Down Arrow" key, when pressed, navigates from one file to another (expected behavior). In between, if we have a Word file of multiple pages, the key stroke is shifted to Preview pane. The pages in the word file (@ preview pane) starts scrolling down.

This is not the case, when you have Microsoft word running at the background. When I tried the same, after opening Microsoft word, the "Down Arrow" key navigates from one word file to another (as expected).

Sorry but I don't quite understand what you're referring to, what happened in the preview pane in windows explorer? Could you share a screen shot with us?

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, April 24, 2014 8:05 AM
  • 1. Once you restart the desktop, please open windows explorer and navigate to a folder with mixed types of files (each with more than one page)

2. In Windows explorer, Enable "Show the Preview Pane".

3. Now select a file (should not be MS word file) from the folder and you will be seeing its content on the Preview pane.

4. Now press the DOWN ARROW - you will be taken to next file and you will see its preview.

5. This is an expected functionality - pressing DOWN ARROW, navigates to the next file

6. In this order, when you come down and select a Multipage MS word document, you are stuck there. Pressing DOWN ARROW, will actually scroll the contents in Preview pane. It will not go to the next file, which happened in Point # 4.

Whereas, if you have Microsoft word opened in the background, you will not experience this. Pressing DOWN ARROW, will take you across all the files.

Please let me know, if you are able to reproduce it. Else, we can look out for alternate communication.

Thursday, April 24, 2014 3:28 PM
  • Hi Kabilan,

As I know, in Preview Pane, you can't directly switch to another file by " DOWN ARROW" in preview pane in windows explorer, you can only scroll down\up contents inside in the files, this is a default behaviour, but from your description, seem you can switch from one file to another, you mentioned that the file is Word, what about other files, have you tested notepad (.txt), are you able to switch from txt file to another txt file via "down arrow" in preview pane? I suspect that this issue might be caused by an add-in in word or other office program, you cna disable the add-ins , then test again.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-in/word-help/view-manage-and-install-add-ins-in-office-programs-HA010354315.aspx

Yolanda Zhu

Monday, April 28, 2014 9:56 AM
  • Hi Yolanda,

Thank you for the suggestion. Please find the answers below.

1. Yes, when it is a text file, pressing down arrow takes me to next file.

2. Only for Word files, this issue is occuring

3. I disabled all the MS word addins and tried. But no luck.

Kindly check this feature in your computer and let me know the results.\\

Thank you

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 2:02 AM
  • Hi,

According to my test, even with .txt file, pressing down arrow can not take me to the next file, same result in my other machines, this is normal and it's a default behaviour in Windows Explorer. I'm not sure how you achieve this function, do you have any additional 3 rd party software installed in your system or any toolbars\plug-ins\extensions added to windows explorer which might bring this function?

Yolanda Zhu

• Marked as answer by Roger Lu Tuesday, May 6, 2014 2:40 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Kabilan T Tuesday, May 6, 2014 4:04 PM
    Wednesday, April 30, 2014 9:02 AM
  • Hi Yolanda,

Apologies for the late reply. Please let me know, if there is a way to screenshare and show you the issue..

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 4:05 PM
  • Hi,

You can directly paste the screenshot by

Or upload the picture in OneDrive, you can refer to this link

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-SkyDrive

NOTE This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites.

Yolanda Zhu

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 1:27 AM