I need help withshowing Windows XP is obsolete and that the problem I had was not my fault (I lost my job over it) RRS feed

• Question

• ] I was employed by a very tiny police agency in Colorado. They were using Windows XP Service Pack 1. The computer was approximately 15 or 16 years old. I began having a great deal of problems with it approximately around the 1st of the year. It would jam up and not send emails including emails with attachments.  Then it would send the emails sometimes, but then it sometimes did not. I repeatedly told my supervisors about this problem and spoke to some people who are far more knowledgeable about systems than I will ever be. They all said that the issue was it was an old computer running an obsolete operating system and an likely an computer that had its hardware failing.

I was eventually fired from the police agency by the supervisor who told me that all I needed to do was de-fragment the drive and that I did not know how to do my job. Can someone with credentials from Microsoft please help me so I won't lose my unemployment benefits? The guy on the town board who claims to be a computer expert is saying it is entirely my fault and I don't deserve unemployment.  I feel I did nothing wrong, and did everything like I have done for the past three years working for the town and all of a sudden everything wend downhill.  I did nothing to the computer.  I even have a copy that I made when I sent the email (10:01 P.M. on a Saturday and it was not received by the judge until Monday morning.  Please help.  Thank you.  Also I repeatedly told them to just replace the computer.  They ignored my pleas. My direct email is kbodner@hotmail.com  Also I never use my email for anything sensitive or private if someone reading this thinks they just scored big.
    Friday, May 19, 2017 9:11 PM

Answers

• SP1???  For a police department???  To communicate with judges by e-mail?

How about calling a local TV news station that does investigative reports on this kind of thing?  And your state legislator?

And wouldn't it be a shame if somebody got hold of one of the department's active e-mail addresses and sent them a realistic-looking message carrying one of the new improved versions of Wannacry.  I'm sure the new improved IT guy they hired to replace you has defragged the hard drive by now, and everything will be just fine. /s 

Seriously, you need to find a lawyer that has experience with employment law and offers free consultations.

Friday, May 19, 2017 9:49 PM
  • Please review: Windows XP support has ended

Carey Frisch

Friday, June 2, 2017 5:00 AM

All replies

• SP1???  For a police department???  To communicate with judges by e-mail?

How about calling a local TV news station that does investigative reports on this kind of thing?  And your state legislator?

And wouldn't it be a shame if somebody got hold of one of the department's active e-mail addresses and sent them a realistic-looking message carrying one of the new improved versions of Wannacry.  I'm sure the new improved IT guy they hired to replace you has defragged the hard drive by now, and everything will be just fine. /s 

Seriously, you need to find a lawyer that has experience with employment law and offers free consultations.

Friday, May 19, 2017 9:49 PM
  • Thank you for the reply.  Sorry for the acknowledgment taking so long.  I only get to the library one a week.  Yes this is a sad situation. The worst thing about it is the "police commissioner" thinks he is above super genius in the IQ scale. Nothing impresses him.  Once again, thank you.
    Friday, May 26, 2017 8:55 PM
  • Please review: Windows XP support has ended

Carey Frisch

Friday, June 2, 2017 5:00 AM