none
IE9 and Vista RRS feed

• Question

• I have IE 9 and I keep getting message "This version of Internet Explorer is no longer supported" on many web sites.

When I update Microsoft gives me the message I have the lastest IE version.

Why is this happening?

Thursday, November 26, 2015 6:06 AM

Answers

• I have IE 9 and I keep getting message "This version of Internet Explorer is no longer supported" on many web sites.

Why is this happening?

Many websites no longer work with outdated browsers like IE9.
    For Windows Vista, the newest/latest version of IE, is IE9. (IE10/IE11 are not available to Windows Vista).
    You could;
    - upgrade Windows to a newer version (but there is no free upgrade to Windows10 for Vista)
    - choose an alternate browser and use that instead of IE
    - get a new computer which comes with a newer version of Windows

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Friday, November 27, 2015 7:02 AM
  • Hi GeorgeVorli,

For one possibility, your Internet Explorer is too old to open these pages. You would better update your Internet Explorer to latest version. However, the latest Internet Explorer version may not be installed in Windows Vista. You would better update your system version.

For another possibility, you used the Compatibility View to open the pages. You need to remove the site out of the Compatibility View List.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-SG/internet-explorer/use-compatibility-view#ie=ie-9

If you have any other questions about the issue, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Best Regards

Simon 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 27, 2015 6:16 AM

All replies

•  getting message "This version of Internet Explorer is no longer supported" on many web sites.

Give an example.  One possibility would be that you have the site in your Compatibility view list.  Then it would be using a User-Agent string equivalent to IE7 running in Quirks mode (IE7's IE5 emulation). 

Otherwise you could use the Developer Tools to spoof a different browser's User-Agent string and see if the site could be used that way.

However, IE9 is old so you may just be getting that legitimate comment from those sites.  Have you thought about getting the free W10 upgrade?   <eg>

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, November 26, 2015 8:47 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi GeorgeVorli,

For one possibility, your Internet Explorer is too old to open these pages. You would better update your Internet Explorer to latest version. However, the latest Internet Explorer version may not be installed in Windows Vista. You would better update your system version.

For another possibility, you used the Compatibility View to open the pages. You need to remove the site out of the Compatibility View List.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-SG/internet-explorer/use-compatibility-view#ie=ie-9

If you have any other questions about the issue, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Best Regards

Simon 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 27, 2015 6:16 AM

Why is this happening?

Many websites no longer work with outdated browsers like IE9.
    For Windows Vista, the newest/latest version of IE, is IE9. (IE10/IE11 are not available to Windows Vista).
    You could;
    - upgrade Windows to a newer version (but there is no free upgrade to Windows10 for Vista)
    - choose an alternate browser and use that instead of IE
    - get a new computer which comes with a newer version of Windows

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Friday, November 27, 2015 7:02 AM
  • no free upgrade to Windows10 for Vista
    Oops.  Thanks for the correction!

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, November 27, 2015 5:02 PM
    Answerer