Windows Experience Index RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello All,

My Windows Experience Index say it needs to be refreshed, but every time I try i get a message that says "Windows was unable to calculate the windows experience index because the usercanceled the assessment"

Also the adjust visual effects button in the task menu does not work. I am running Vista ultimate with a NVIDIA FX 5200 video card all the other hardware works. any suggestions would really help. Thanks

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 11:39 PM

All replies

• Rbushey

You may have some corruption in the files where the Experience Index information is stored.

Click Start, copy/paste the following line into the Search box, and then press Enter.

%SYSTEMROOT%\Performance\WinSat\DataStore

This will open the DataStore folder in Windows Explorer.

Delete all the .xml files in that folder.

Open Control Panel, select Classic View in the Tasks Menu.

Double click Performance Information and Tools.

Click the 'Update my score' or 'Refresh Now' link.

Click the Continue button on the UAC prompt.

This could take a few minutes, be patient.

Let us know the results.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Thursday, August 7, 2008 5:48 PM
  • Well that didn't work, but thanks for trying, Any other suggestions?

Thursday, August 7, 2008 9:09 PM
  • Rbushey

Well, "didn't work" covers a lot of territory? 

Could you describe exactly what happened? Any error messages, or.....?

As long as you did not receive any error messages, the next thing I would suggest is checking for updated drivers for all of the installed hardware devices on the system.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Thursday, August 7, 2008 10:37 PM
  • Hi.

Sorry for the lack of detail but it was exactly as the original post.Same error message. Thanks for your help.

Friday, August 8, 2008 9:23 AM
  • Rbushey

Some items to check.

Is the Windows Experience Index page completely empty?

If so, see the following website for the fix.

Windows Experience Index - Performance Information and Tools page is completely blank:
    http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/152/1/Windows-Experience-Index---Performance-Information-and-Tools-page-is-completely-blank.html

Check the manufacturers website for any updated drivers for all of the installed hardware, especially the graphics card.

Let us know what you find.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Friday, August 8, 2008 6:52 PM
  • Hi,

No the page is not blank. I took a skreen shot, maybe this will help. Thanks for all your help.

Saturday, August 9, 2008 8:00 PM
  • Rbushey

I see the 'New hardware detected' item on that screen.

Have you recently installed a new graphics card, or.......?

If so, did you make sure to download the latest driver from the manufacturers website?

Let me know.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Saturday, August 9, 2008 9:03 PM
  • Hello Again,

No this is the same card I had when I installed Vista, All this happened when i downloaded the newest driver. I tried rolling back the driver but the rollback driver button is not shaded. I'm stuck. When I tried to reinstall the drive it says this a windows drive and aborts the install. thanks for all your effort.

Sunday, August 10, 2008 8:00 PM
  • Rbushey

If this is a driver that you installed from Windows Update, I recommend that you go to the manufacturers website for the installed Graphics Card download / install the latest version available from them.

Sometimes the drivers that are available on Windows Update are outdated because it takes time for the manufacturer to get them placed there.

If this doesn't help, another option is to download the latest driver for that card, open the 'Device Manager' and 'uninstall' the graphics card. Reboot the computer and let Windows re-detect the graphics card and run the 'Found new hardware Wizard' and install the new drivers for the card.

Let us know the result.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Monday, August 11, 2008 11:51 PM
  • Hi Again,

This is the manufactures driver. The driver I got from Windows update was fine until I got the Nvidia driver, but I can't even roll back the driver. I'm stuck!!! Thanks for all your effort and time.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 12:55 AM
  • in device manager uninstall the graphics card and reboot.

when the computer starts up and the new hardware wizard appears, select the driver you downloaded.

If that process errors out let us know

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 6:06 PM