Windows hangs up at 100% windows update configuration RRS feed

• Question

• I have couple Windows 7 Pro that had windows updates waiting to be installed and requested users to shutdown/restart the PCs. However, when the PC started up, it stucked at Windows Updates Configuration 100% complete (users claimed to wait more than half hour). I had to do a hard shutdown and get the logon windows back.

How can I get to the background of the screen to see what hanging up? Is there a way to work around without hard shutdown? Thanks.

Thang Mo

Thursday, December 12, 2013 3:16 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Firstly I recommend you run Windows Update Troubleshooter.

Control Panel>Action Center>Troubleshooting>System and Security>Windows Update.

If the issue persists, try using System Update Readiness Tool, the System Update Readiness Tool can help fix problems that might prevent Windows updates and service packs from installing.

What is the System Update Readiness Tool?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows7/what-is-the-system-update-readiness-tool

We can also try the methods in the following KB if the methods above not work.

Windows Update freezes when you install updates in Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2700567

if the issue persists, please collect %windir%\Windowsupdate.log for us for further research.

Please upload the log to SkyDrive and post a link here.

Hope this helps,

Ada Liu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by ThangMo Monday, December 23, 2013 6:07 PM
    Tuesday, December 17, 2013 2:42 AM

All replies

• 1. Look into WindowsUpdate.log file and find part that contain information on failed update. Search for troubleshooting information with respect to update number or publish your findings here.

2. Download update that make troubles and install it manually.

Regards

Milos

Friday, December 13, 2013 11:56 PM
  • Hi,

Firstly I recommend you run Windows Update Troubleshooter.

Control Panel>Action Center>Troubleshooting>System and Security>Windows Update.

If the issue persists, try using System Update Readiness Tool, the System Update Readiness Tool can help fix problems that might prevent Windows updates and service packs from installing.

What is the System Update Readiness Tool?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows7/what-is-the-system-update-readiness-tool

We can also try the methods in the following KB if the methods above not work.

Windows Update freezes when you install updates in Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2700567

if the issue persists, please collect %windir%\Windowsupdate.log for us for further research.

Please upload the log to SkyDrive and post a link here.

Hope this helps,

Ada Liu

• Marked as answer by ThangMo Monday, December 23, 2013 6:07 PM
    Tuesday, December 17, 2013 2:42 AM
  • I am aware of those solutions, what I really need is a way to get behind the windows 7 logon screen. In Windows 95/98, we can press Esc key and it will show what loading in text mode.

Is that option available in Windows 7/8? (without going to safe mode).

Thang Mo

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 3:38 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry to mention that it may impossible to do that in Windows 7.

If you don’t want the configuration process during windows start or shutdown, we can choose to manually install it.

Start>type update in the search box>choose windows update>click Change settings in the left panel. select "download updates but let me choose whether to install them.

Hope this helps,

Ada Liu

Monday, December 23, 2013 2:58 AM
  • Tonight, I had to re-start my Windows 7 Pro laptop (I need it for legacy software that I can only run under VM), it said "Installing Update", and has hung up "Configuring Updates".  I have tried the power off and re-boot option, allowing windows to restart normally and in safe mode, in both cases, the update cycle resumes, and does not complete.

So if I cannot get into Windows, and cannot get past this screwed up update, how do I boot my machine.  I don't want to hear "Sorry, you will have to reinstall your OS" as the answer!

Friday, July 21, 2017 5:56 AM
  • Solution that has worked for me EVERY time when this happens is patience.  

And no... I'm not just being a jerk.

There's a bug in Windows 7 updating where it does not flag the completion for some updates. And therefore it hangs at 100%.  Literally let it sit there.  Every 10 minutes or so, press Ctrl Alt Del.  Eventually, you will get the login screen with the prompt for the password per usual.

For some silly reason, I still decide to research this problem every single time it comes up to see if there are any alternative solutions "yet" and there never are.  

NOTE: You will have no indication that Ctrl Alt Del will work.  Some non-SSDs could take an hour if the updates were really FUBAR'd.  So if you can't wait every 10 minutes, walk away, come back in an hour and give the C-A-D a try.  If you go two hours with nothing, something else is drastically wrong and you'll have to do some other research or trial and errors.

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 8:34 PM
  • I can confirm this is usually my experience. I've seen where it can take around 1 hour. Configuring windows 7 updates 100% complete wait time normally almost always happens after I've cleaned out C:\Windows\Temp folder and/or ran the Disk Cleanup utility.
    • Proposed as answer by TraceyMac Monday, March 5, 2018 6:20 PM
    Thursday, January 18, 2018 4:25 PM
  • This. Yes. Happening to me now immediately after running Disk Cleanup. Note that there weren't any updates to install! A check for updates turned up none. It seems the 'Configuring Windows updates' message is directly related to cleaning the files from the disk.
    Monday, March 5, 2018 6:20 PM
  • Just wanna say on a decent system with win7 on ssd I just waited 1h while it was saying 100% complete, then it said 'cleaning up' (in my native language) and normally turned off (even though I had pressed 'restart' before the update started). This is the first time this happened (I was on the point of shutting it down) and it was also the first time I did a full disk cleanup of C: (the ssd) using the built-in Windows utility just before, including the option 'clean system files' which turned out to have accumulated many GBs of logs over the years. Now after the update only 'temporary files' contains 700 mb again when I look in the utility. Given the last 2 posts I hope this may be of help to some.
    Tuesday, March 13, 2018 2:47 PM
  • March 24,2018 Took about 30 min for “100% Complete” to go away then “Disk Cleanup” then back to Windows login screen. I also cleaned up disk & emptied temp files when last on computer, just prior to this. Windows 7 Pro, 250 GB SSD
    Sunday, March 25, 2018 12:10 AM
  • I want to echo the solution expressed by the previous 5 posts - patience.  This is a general solution for "Configuration xx% complete" for either Windows 7 or Windows 10.  I waited for half an hour and 2 hours for Windows 7 update and Windows 10 update respectively recently. 

Hong

Saturday, April 14, 2018 10:39 PM
  • I can also confirm it takes a long time for Configuring Windows Updates.  I just ran Disk Cleanup on Server 2008 R2 SP1 which was going to remove 42GB of files from cleanmgr.exe and have waited 2 hours on this screen now and still haven't seen "Cleaning up" yet.  Patience is key. It will get there. 
    Monday, December 17, 2018 11:12 PM
  • I used the Disk Cleanup to clean over 16GB of Windows Update Files. After rebooting the computer it was stuck for over an HOUR on 100% then it changed to "Cleaning up...". It takes a long time but it will come back up. As everyone else is saying Just Wait...
    Thursday, March 14, 2019 6:05 PM
  • This post saved me from restoring my system a second time, so thank you and everyone that replied. 

Same as others: I did a disk cleanup a couple days ago, no updates new or pending.  Shutdown to clean insides of computer today and got this stuck on power on. Ctrl-alt-del did not seem to help, but just waited an hour or so.

Wednesday, May 1, 2019 7:41 PM
  • Just ran the disk utility clean up and now stuck at 100% updating after restating pc lol so yeah if you run it you have to run out your patients too I guess and just wait it out...  mine took me about 15 minutes then all was good
    Monday, July 1, 2019 5:05 PM
  • I just went through the same thing.  I have a very old system on Win 7 (can't be upgraded) I keep in my computer room in case I need internet access while working on my main system.  I had just done a full Win Explorer clean up like people describe here.  I've done it before without problems, but this time, it took at least an hour to come back from 100%.  But it did.  

Ron

Tuesday, December 24, 2019 9:46 PM