Office 2010 Excel Documents will not open from Explorer RRS feed

• Question

• I have an issue that is driving me nuts working with virtualized Office 2010.  I have one machine that will not open Excel documents with the virtualized Excel version (Word and PowerPoint documents open just fine).  When I click on one of these documents from an explorer window I receive this message:

This action is only valid for products that are currently installed

I have searched the registry over and it all looks correct to me.  I've run procmon traces and tried to compare with launching a word document.  I'm looking at many of the same registry keys and they seem to be correct.

Help!

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 1:41 AM

Answers

• I finally gave up on this.  I completely removed the App-V 4.6 client from the machine along with all the registry items and local file settings that I could fine.  Reinstalled the App-V 4.6 client and it started working.  I've got other issues now, but at least this function is working.
    • Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, May 19, 2010 4:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by Redparadox Wednesday, May 19, 2010 1:07 PM
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 2:49 AM

All replies

• I finally gave up on this.  I completely removed the App-V 4.6 client from the machine along with all the registry items and local file settings that I could fine.  Reinstalled the App-V 4.6 client and it started working.  I've got other issues now, but at least this function is working.
    • Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, May 19, 2010 4:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by Redparadox Wednesday, May 19, 2010 1:07 PM
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 2:49 AM
  • I did find this was caused by invalid registry entries in HKCR\Excel.Sheet.12 which was a result of having locally installed Office 2007.  I would have thought the deployment kit would have handled this, but I guess not.

Sunday, May 23, 2010 2:46 AM
  • Can you share either what you did or what was invalid?  I am having the same issue, but I don't see anything that looks invalid within those registry entries.

Thank you in advanced for the help.

Friday, July 30, 2010 2:23 PM
  • Take a look at the keys under Excel.Sheet.12\shell\... and the ddeexec keys.  That is where the trouble is I believe.  The easy (or not so easy) solution is to grab that key from a working machine, that is one that has never had Office installed and only the App-V Office 2010.  Save that key off, delete the key, and import it. 

However, I have seen Office 2007 seem to "repair" itself and in doing so, changes those keys back.

Friday, July 30, 2010 4:10 PM