How i can manage coexistence of client sms 2003 and client sccm 2012? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

i have  a question regarding to migration from sms 2003 and sccm 2012.

I can't use sccm 2007, so i must find a solution to effect a migration of cient sms 2003 into sccm 2012.

Initially, i have 2 site: site2003 that i managed with SMS 2003, and site2012 that i managed with SCCM 2012.

I must migrate, gradually of course, client 2003 in client 2012, so for a certain period i have 2 site to manage parallely.

My problem is:

What appened when i deploy a package to a client 2003?

when i deploy a package to client 2003 and he contacts Active Directory for retrieve his Management Point, there is risk that he contact a MP 2012 instead his MP 2003?

And, if appens, what kind of problem i encounter?

I hope that i have well-explained my doubt.

Thanks!

Friday, August 1, 2014 9:32 AM

Answers

1. Nothing the SMS2k3 client will download the package from your SMS 2k3 DPs. assuming that you have everything setup correctly.
    2. That is not correct that SMS client will NOT query AD looking for it MP, it will already know about it MP and will contact if directly.
    • You should Remove the boundaries form SMS 2003 before you install CM12.
    • All new PCs will get the CM12 client not the SMS 2003 client. 
    • Make sure that all of you SMS2k3 adverts have the download and execute option for slow networks.

Garth Jones | My blogs: Enhansoft and Old Blog site | Twitter: @GarthMJ

• Proposed as answer by Garth JonesMVP Monday, December 22, 2014 3:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by Garth JonesMVP Saturday, January 3, 2015 3:51 PM
    Friday, August 1, 2014 11:38 AM

All replies

1. Nothing the SMS2k3 client will download the package from your SMS 2k3 DPs. assuming that you have everything setup correctly.
    2. That is not correct that SMS client will NOT query AD looking for it MP, it will already know about it MP and will contact if directly.
    • You should Remove the boundaries form SMS 2003 before you install CM12.
    • All new PCs will get the CM12 client not the SMS 2003 client. 
    • Make sure that all of you SMS2k3 adverts have the download and execute option for slow networks.

• Proposed as answer by Garth JonesMVP Monday, December 22, 2014 3:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by Garth JonesMVP Saturday, January 3, 2015 3:51 PM
    Friday, August 1, 2014 11:38 AM
  • Sorry but i don't understand your first 4 answers..

Friday, August 1, 2014 12:48 PM
  • Sorry but i don't understand your first 4 answers..

What is not clear? I answer both of your questions and added a few notes about what to watch out for.

To answer your first question: Nothing will happen.

To answer you second question: Your assumption is wrong.

Friday, August 1, 2014 1:09 PM
  • Garth is correct, however, IF you were to install any new SMS 2003 clients, then they would read AD to find the MP to communicate with. However, existing clients would also check AD to see if they are in a roaming scenario. That's where it is important to make sure there are not overlapping boundaries between the two environments.

Also, there is NO migration from SMS 2003 to Configuration Manager 2012. It will be a completely new environment, and nothing from SMS 2003 is brought over to the new Configuration Manager environment. You start from scratch, recreating stuff that you need in the new environment.

Wally Mead

Friday, August 1, 2014 8:13 PM