Platform Update for Windows 7 x64 (KB2670838) problems with Windows Media Player and Windows Media Center RRS feed

• General discussion

• Bad update (KB2670838). I see many different symptoms reported, but these are the ones I have seen on my machines:

On 2 of my windows 7 x64 PC's I started seeing problems with IE9 hanging and restarting and Windows Media Player or Windows Media Center.

WMP crashes when trying to play an MP4 video, the same problem with Windows Media Center, there is no indication of what type of error, just a message that it fails.

I had 2 previous windows images backed up and I tried to restore them with the same failures, I couldn't know exactly when the problem started, so I went trough a completely new installation and applied upgrades as they were found by windows update,  testing for the error after each phase of updates. When I finally installed the optional update "Platform Update for Windows 7 x64 (KB2670838)" the problems started again.

So I went back to my original failing systems and I uninstalled KB2670838 and that finally eliminated the problems.

My WMP 12 and WMC started working normally again, I will have to keep an eye on IE9 to see if those failures on web pages will go away too.

My PC is a DELL DESKTOP XPS 8300 with 16GB of memory and Windows 7 x64 Ultimate.

For now I juste hide KB2670838 on windows update so it will not show up again.

Id like to know when there will be a correction for the bad update and what the purpose of the update is.

Thanks, F.G.

Monday, May 13, 2013 2:58 AM

All replies