Vista Boot Green Bar of Death - crcdisk.sys won't load RRS feed

• Question

• Yesterday, while Windows Update was "configuring" the system prior to post-installation-of-the-recent Vista-updates boot, there was a power outage. On trying to start the system, Vista's driver loading Green Bar continued running for long enough for the OS to be written bit by bit. On re-booting, I attempted all the various Safe Start options and could not precede past the loading of the crcdisk.sys driver. I have Windows Update set to download and notify. As a precaution, I do a Google search on any update before installing to see how many problems are associated with any particular update. Nothing out of the ordinary was noted for these particular six updates.

I then inserted the Vista installation disk and tried to boot from it. No go! Got as far as the lovely green, yellow, turquoise stage curtain and no farther. Keyboard and mouse (both wireless usb) work, however, there is nothing to work on or with as far as cmd prompt, repair, install, etc. or anything else. I have removed the non-raid drive with no noticeable change

I have searched Microsoft KB, all of Microsoft.com and Google for crcdisk.sys. The KB search returned no results whatsoever(what's with that?) and the other two search engines directed me to this forum and numerous other sites.

Apparently, this is a very, very common issue. From what I have gathered from various sources, the causes of this hang are nearly as many as there are people who have experienced it. There appear to be a few remedies that work for some instances and not for others. Am unsure as to which where and what to try first, particularly as a majority of the issues seemed to have occurred on laptops. Needless to say, I would prefer not to lose the data on my drives. Does anyone have any information as to what the "official" position is on this issue? Is there a Microsoft recommended procedure for tracking the cause and repair of this inconvenient "hiccup"?

Tech Details:

Vista Ultimate SP1 x86 on an OEM Intel D955Xcs motherboard w/4MB 800MHz Ram, a Pentium Extreme Edition 3.20GHz cpu, PNY Geforce 7600GT graphics w/512kb ram, 3 WDC WD3200YS-01P Hdd (1 RAID5, 298.1GB Volume-1 RAID0, 447.1GB Volume using Intel Matrix Storage Manager 5.6.2.1002, ICH7R/DH, 82801GB/GR I/O controller), and 1 Seagate ST31000340AS (non-RAID) Hdd. This system has a dual boot configuration-WinXP Pro on C and Vista on G. It also a 3-com pci modem installed.

Thank you,

David Whittlesey

MCP, MCTS 

Saturday, July 12, 2008 4:38 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, you can press shift+F10 open a CMD window prior to language selection.

If the suggestion doesn’t work, I am afraid we need to debug the crashed system dump and analyze the related source code if needed. Please understand debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. I'd like to recommend that you contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for assistance so that this problem can be resolved efficiently. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Hope it helps.

Thursday, July 17, 2008 10:48 AM
  • Your first post says you have 4MB of physical memory so I will assume you meant GB. Try removing 2 GB of memory and boot into Vista's install like that. The BSoD should go away, this is a common problem with older versions of Vista install (discs sold prior to many critical updates as well as SP1). I had to do this myself when installing Vista on my PC.
    Sunday, July 20, 2008 4:07 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Mostly, this issue is caused by two system files corrupted.

Before moving on, could you please let me know whether you can get the following process?

1.Turn your PC On

2.As the PC starts quickly insert the Windows Vista DVD into the DVD drive.

3.If all goes well a black screen should appear with the legend 'Press any key to boot from CD or DVD.' If you miss this screen just reboot your machine again.

4. At the 'Press any key to boot from CD or DVD' screen Press Enter or any other key to start the Windows Installation.

5.Windows will now start loading files into memory.

6.After files have been loaded the screen will change to a black screen with a green progress bar. Beneath the progress bar are the Microsoft copyright details.

7.After a short while the language selection screen will appear.

Can you see the language selection screen? If you can, let’s troubleshoot this issue by the following method.

8. Press Shift+F10, a CMD windows will be appeared.

9. Navigate to: c:\windows\system32\drivers\, rename pcmcia.sys to pcmcia.old.

10. Navigate to: c:\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\, rename pcmcia.inf_539d553e to pcmcia.inf_539d553eold

11. Then, Restart the computer to test this issue.

Does it work?

By the way, could you backup your Windows Vista data by using Windows XP?

Thanks.

Monday, July 14, 2008 10:52 AM
  • No, I don't get as far as the language selection screen! I do get past the the copyright black screen to the turquoise and yellow stage curtain and no farther! I can't boot into XP either! When I try, the recovery console loads and then blue screens with an error msg similar to "Windows has stopped loading to avoid damage to your computer hardware ... 

Stop 0x0000007B, 0xF78D2524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000

I have successfully started WinPE (XP, W2K3) which reports there are no hdds installed! When I use the F6 option to load the Intel Matrix Storage (IMS) Drivers, WinPE hangs at the WinPe -init cmd. Vista WinPE (which includes a driver for IMS) hangs at the same place!

I am working on creating a custom Vista WinPE to load the IMS Drivers that the RAID Array was originally configured with (a version prior to Vista) to see if that won't allow access to the hdd's. I also can try the most recent IMS drivers released in June. The RAID array was configured for XP before Vista was installed! I have not booted to XP for sometime. Vista may already have updated the IMS drivers or been in the process of doing so when the power failed!

Then again, as you suggest, I may be walking out the wrong limb altogether! Any suggestions greatly appreciated! Will shift+F10 open a cmd window from the curtain stage (prior to language selection)?

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 6:06 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, you can press shift+F10 open a CMD window prior to language selection.

If the suggestion doesn’t work, I am afraid we need to debug the crashed system dump and analyze the related source code if needed. Please understand debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. I'd like to recommend that you contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for assistance so that this problem can be resolved efficiently. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Hope it helps.

Thursday, July 17, 2008 10:48 AM
  • I tried the shift+F10 without success! Can't get past the opening of the very first "stage curtain" when trying to boot from the Vista SP1 installation disk! When I try to boot from a verified WinPE cd the program halts immediately after opening the cmd window and printing the winpeinit command. By verified cd I mean one that boots another system! I am assuming that when both the installation disk and winpe are used to boot, the boot process needs to write some files to a disk other than the ramdisk it creates? If so, booting from a cd/dvd precludes access to the cd/dvd as writeable media! Is this also true of a usb flash disk?

How does one capture the "the system dump" if the system hangs and is inacessible? Thanks for the suggestions!

Friday, July 18, 2008 9:14 PM
  • Your first post says you have 4MB of physical memory so I will assume you meant GB. Try removing 2 GB of memory and boot into Vista's install like that. The BSoD should go away, this is a common problem with older versions of Vista install (discs sold prior to many critical updates as well as SP1). I had to do this myself when installing Vista on my PC.
    Sunday, July 20, 2008 4:07 PM
  • Hi,

I have made a summary for your questions.

1.Does the Windows PE boot process needs to write some files to a disk?

2.How can we capture the "the system dump" if the system hangs and is inaccessible?

Regarding the #1, Windows PE boot process only use a RAM disk. For more information, you can refer to the following article:

Booting Windows PE

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/00c1b7b0-c4b1-43e5-970b-675b5b2c0b341033.mspx?mfr=true

Regarding the #2, please contact Microsoft Customer Support Service by phone, our support will help you on this issue. Thank you for your understanding.

Hope it helps.  

Monday, July 21, 2008 9:14 AM
  • Thanks for the tip Jordan, and yes I am somewhat dyslexic when it comes to M's & G's & numbers much larger than a hundred or so.

Unfortunately, this particular tip does not apply in this instance! Perhaps because I am using the most recent edition of Vista's install disk (includes SP1) obtained from the source itself!

Thanks again,

Monday, July 21, 2008 9:41 PM