none
Assignment Start Date and Task Start Date RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I would consider myself as a beginner in scheduling with resources and assignements and have the following question...

I have few tasks in my schedule. There are set to not effort driven and fixed units. No constraints also.

I have been rescheduling few assignments in the task usage view. What I noticed that Assignment Start dates doesn't move  Task Start Date. It moves Task Finish dates, but not task start date. Why is task start date different to Task Finish date when it comes to Assignment rescheduling?

Thanks in advance

SJ

Monday, September 29, 2014 5:15 PM

Answers

• It is also normal (but tricky to get, I admit). If you move backward the assignment, thus the task will start earlier.

• In the same way, the task finish date is the latest finish date among all assignments.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Monday, September 29, 2014 5:53 PM

All replies

• Hi SJ_EPM,

How exactly did you change the assignment start date? How is your assignment configured? I ask you those questions because depending on how you do it, it can explain the behavior you are seeing.

Here is the explanation:

Let's say I have a task with 2 resources. By default the task's start date is also the assignments' task dates. But if the resource 2 is not available the first day, I'll change in the task form schedule view the resource 2's assignment schedule start date. But the task's start date will be the earlier date of all assignment so it will not move. Consequently the task's finish date will be the latest assignments' finish date, so it will move forward of 1 day.

Here is a screenshot below before changing dates:

And after moving resource 2's assignment start date:

Hope this helps,

Monday, September 29, 2014 5:25 PM
  • Talking to myself, I think I understood your concern. If you delete (or enter 0d) to the assignments in the task usage view, the assignments start dates move formward accordingly but the task's start date stays as it is:

It is also a normal behavior. A task might or might not have a resource assigned thus might or might not have work. In my example, the task starts (in term of duration) on sept 29 but resources start working only on oct 3rd. Thus in this case (whatever the business logic behind this example), the task start date and the assignments start dates will be different.

Hope this helps,

Monday, September 29, 2014 5:34 PM
  • Hi Guillaume,

Thank you for your prompt response as always.

What if resource number 1 is not available until 1st October? Does it then move task start date?

I have two resource assigned to the task which is set up as described in my intial question. Is there a special way to assign a resource? the resources hours are 8 hours per day, 40 hours per week. assigned @ 100%. Duration is 16hrs, Effort is 16 hrs.

My scenario is I have both resources starting at different dates now so I thought by changing both resources start date, my start and my finish date will reflect this change accordingly, but it doesn't...for example my latest start date should be 30/09/2014 now and not 29/09/2014 as resource number 1's task had to be shifted to 1/10/2014. Task finish date reflect the changes perfectly - no issues there. Just a bit confused why task start date wouldn't change also.

Thanks again...

SJ

Monday, September 29, 2014 5:41 PM
  • Aha!

Still...task finish seems to recognise that it has assignments now, but task start date doesn't recognise it has assignments...interesting.

What I tested also is that if I move the assignments forward - before task start date then it works! It changes task start date, but anything after it doesn't bother with it. So tempramental :-)

Thanks!

SJ

Monday, September 29, 2014 5:47 PM
  • If resources 1 and 2 are not available until oct 1st and you change it at the assignment level, it will NOT change the task start date. To do so, you have to go back to the Gantt chart and change the task start date (if it makes sense). Changing the task start date WILL update the assignments start dates.

Thus in your case, I'd suggest to update in the Gannt chart the TASK start date to the earliest assignment start date, then split your screen and adjust the assignment start date in the task form/schedule.

Hope this helps,

Monday, September 29, 2014 5:50 PM
  • It is also normal (but tricky to get, I admit). If you move backward the assignment, thus the task will start earlier.

• In the same way, the task finish date is the latest finish date among all assignments.

Hope this helps,

Monday, September 29, 2014 5:53 PM
  • Just to add to this...

In Project server environment where we promote the usage of PWA for viewing information based on different roles...this "feature" or "functionality" will be providing incorrect information. If for example a Programme Manager is reviewing a plan and its key tasks which happens to have assignments where dates have moved in the future via 'Task Update' in PWA, this won't give the correct task start date information unless the Programme manager reads   Gantt chart and sees the split.

Here are us trying to give audience based information - now knowing that it is actually providing incorrect information. As a programme manager he or she wants high level info. If I give them critical tasks' forecast dates knowing it has assignment then I will have to warn them that they are actually looking at incorrect information - regardless of what MSFT says about 'this is how it is calculated' - It is incorrect task forecast date - it should actually be updated with earliest assignment start date (if there are resources allocated to that tasks). 

Granted that if there is a constraint on that task (for a valid reason) and a resource moves this task in the future via 'Task Update' then it shouldn't update. This is where the PM or scheduler should pick up this and communcation process should start - resulting in maybe a change request being raised etc...

I had a nightmare of a task to explain this to the client who are trying to move away from Primevera!

Friday, October 3, 2014 4:02 PM
  • we experienced that taskstartdate and assignmentstartdate  (the same for finishdates) get way out of sync when the planning moves (we plan all task automated). Also, assignment dates are not within task dates, so a task can be set between 1 jun and 2 jun , but assignment can be in october. in some cases the difference can be dramatic. actually , for operational reporting you always want to replace the task dates by the assignment dates because the assignment dates are shown in the PWA per resource. PS we have one to one relation between tasks and assignments (always max 1 resource per task).  

is this a bug or not , no idea, but we have these workaround, and taskdates are pretty useless for the reporting.  

From Project Techcenter

Tuesday, March 20, 2018 11:17 AM