none
Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I downloaded the free version of Windows 10 recently (OS build 10586.36) and installed Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings, but the game will not launch.

I have a Toshiba Satellite A665-S6050 laptop.

Is there a compatibility update for this game or any other changes I can make to have this game work?

Thanks

Friday, December 18, 2015 11:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Have you tried run it as administrator?

Take a look at Windows 10 Troubleshooting: Compatibility Issues

I also noticed that after install the latest updates, some player can get it worked properly. Please see if it can work for you and the update is as below:

KB3086255 is the update about the graphics component in Windows:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3086255

And please pay attention to the known issues part:

After you install this security update, some programs may not run. (For example, some video games may not run.) To work around this issue, you can temporarily turn on the service for the secdrv.sys driver by running certain commands, or by editing the registry. 

More information, please check the article above.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 21, 2015 2:26 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Your  best bet is to contact the developer.  We do not even know if it is win `10 compatible.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Saturday, December 19, 2015 12:25 AM
  • Hi,

Have you tried run it as administrator?

Take a look at Windows 10 Troubleshooting: Compatibility Issues

I also noticed that after install the latest updates, some player can get it worked properly. Please see if it can work for you and the update is as below:

KB3086255 is the update about the graphics component in Windows:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3086255

And please pay attention to the known issues part:

After you install this security update, some programs may not run. (For example, some video games may not run.) To work around this issue, you can temporarily turn on the service for the secdrv.sys driver by running certain commands, or by editing the registry. 

More information, please check the article above.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 21, 2015 2:26 PM
    Owner
  • Hi,

We have not heard from you in a couple of days.

Please post back at your convenience if we can assist further. If there is any difficulty to perform these suggestions, please don't hesitate to post back and we are willing to help your further.

Friday, December 25, 2015 5:13 AM
    Owner
  • I am having the same issue.

Upgraded to Windows 10, when I try to run the program it says "Access Denied, please login with Administrator privileges and try again".  There is only one profile on the computer, mine, and I am the Administrator.

I've tried the right click, Open as Administrator, and nothing happens.

I've uninstalled/reinstalled and have the same issue.

Any ideas on how to make this game work?

Saturday, January 9, 2016 9:17 PM
  • i have had the same difficulty and have found no resolution.
    Sunday, June 19, 2016 6:22 PM