App-V 4.6 - fsdfs.fsd or cache cleanup without reboot RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I seem to be having a bit of an issue with app-v cache setup.

the app-v cache and the "fsdfs.fsd" file is located on a persistent disk in a Citrix PVS environment, so following the suggestions on http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc843790.aspx is a no-go:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SoftGrid\4.5\Client\AppFS\State to 0.

It doesn't do anything, after server reboot the cache file is still there.

I'm trying to find if there is another mechanism to clean the cache while the machine is booted, so far it doesn't look good:

"Rebooting the Staging Client VM is necessary, because it is not the App-V Client Service that locks the file. Instead, it is the driver that still is active after the Service has been stopped. After the reboot, the driver can’t be initialized, because the Service has been disabled."

The only crazy idea is to modify the image itself, boot from it while the app-v service is disabled and proceed to cleanup the old cache files, which doesn't seem like a good scenario given the number of server machines involved. Or boot affected servers from an image that has the registry state set to 0 so they reset on each reboot.

Initially my idea was to use a script to clean up the cache from individual servers which are near the cache size cap.

I would appreciate suggestions for this scenario.

Thank you.

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 3:24 PM

All replies

• You mentioned Citrix, PVS, and Server machines, but you didn't mention your OS.  Since you said Server machines, I'm going to assume you're using 2008 R2 or 2012/2012 R2, which are all 64bit operating systems.  In which case, you're pointing to the wrong registry value.  Since App-V 4.6 is a 32bit process, it's configurations are all in the WOW6432node location, so instead try the following:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\wow6432node\Microsoft\SoftGrid\4.5\Client\AppFS\State = 0

If this doesn't fix the issue for you, report back with the OS that you are using.

• Edited by Joe.Robinson Tuesday, January 13, 2015 4:38 PM
    • Proposed as answer by znack Saturday, January 17, 2015 7:56 PM
    Tuesday, January 13, 2015 4:36 PM
  • hello, it's server 2008 r2. the registry is copy-paste from the article, during the tests i've actually modified one under wow6432.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2015 4:39 PM
  • Hello,

Have you ever found a solution for this problem? I'm struggling with the same issue.

Thanks in advance!

Thursday, November 3, 2016 10:55 AM