none
Progress line problems RRS feed

• Question

• I want to ask about progress line on my gantt chart

usually for a task that already finish, the progress line is going to be straight (altough that task is late/not match with the baseline plan)

but sometime i have a problem. the task is late, for now the status is finish, but the progress line not changes to be straight

can anyone help me to solve this problem? 

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 8:09 AM

All replies

• Which version of MS Project you are using? Is the resource assigned on the task has some calendar assigned to it? You could refer to the link - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/136428 if resource calendar assigned. If this is not the case, please provide more details on version, progress line settings that you are using. 

Sapna Shukla

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 8:27 AM
  • Easiest solution of all is don't use Progress Lines. They are very poor practice. Instead you should save a baseline, then update tasks accurately so that after updating there is no incomplete work in the past and no completed work in the future. The Tracking Gantt chart then clearly shows whether you are ahead or behind.

Using Progress lines and not updating properly also leaves the critical path out of date so you don't know which tasks you must start and finish on time to finish the project on time and you can't use other metrics such as earned value.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 9:27 PM