Using SPLA to plug holes in VL (and use of SPLA on-site) RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi,

    I recently joined a company as IT Manager. All servers are in house and owned by us. Around 12 months before I joined, the Managed Service Provider (MSP) suggested there were holes in our Microsoft licensing and they could plug those holes with SPLA. For the last 12 months we have been paying for

    RDS CALs
    Windows Server licenses (we already own the CALs)

    I'm new to SPLA so have been looking online for clarification as to whether this is correct. My question are:

    1. If we own the physical servers and they are located on site, can the MSP even offer SPLA licenses to us?
    2. Can we mix our own Volume Licenses with SPLA within certain products. For Example, take Exchange, if we own the server license, can we get SPLA licenses to cover Exchange CALs?
    3. The MSP is charging us Exchange licensing by mailbox. We have around 60 staff (living, breathing humans), but over 90 mailboxes (with user accounts). I know from VL, when buying Exchange CALs it is either Device or User, is Exchange SPLA really per mailbox?

    I think that's all for now. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated. Please point to published white papers is quoting Microsoft.

    Many thanks 

    Friday, December 4, 2015 9:44 AM


  • Adding my own reply for the benefit of others...

    What I found out:

    SPLA agreements can only exist when the MSP solely administers the systems for which the SPLA agreement covers. So in the example above, where I joined as IT Manager, in doing so this invalidates the SPLA agreement as I am now managing the servers and systems. The MSP still has admin access but is no longer the sole administrator.

    Hope this helps others.

    • Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Monday, December 14, 2015 7:17 PM
    Tuesday, December 8, 2015 3:49 PM