none
Domain Controller Problems RRS feed

• Question

• Good day everyone

I hope this is the correct place to post as I cannot seem to find a Windows Server General Forum. To explain shortly, the company I work for had a domain controller configured on a Virtual Machine around 4years ago (DC). 2 Years ago, the server was infected with ransomware and they configured a new domain controller (DC01) and demoted the old one. Everything was working well. I joined late last year and took over all the maintenance. Earlier this year, the server got infected again. I created a new domain controller (DC1), transferred the FSMO roles, but kept the old Virtual Server 'active' just incase I run into any troubles. I wanted to demote the old domain controller but decided to first switch off the server for a week to see what happens. The users could suddenly not access any of the shared folders, none of the updates work, the Server Manager Dashboard doesn't load all the services and fails to refresh. It seems like to domain cannot be contacted once the 'old' domain controller is switched off. My knowledge on Windows Server is pretty basic. I've tried to search to resolve some of the issues, but don't really know where to start. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Wednesday, September 30, 2020 12:01 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Are you sure that the FMSO were transferred to the new domain controller, also check your DNS, remove the old records from the other server, also take a look at your AD replication.

Another point is to take a detailed look at your AD logs and check if something is wrong.

If that answer can help you, please mark it as answered.

Jádson Alves MCT|MCSE|MCSA Blog: jadsonalves.com.br

Wednesday, September 30, 2020 1:13 PM