none
Run as Administrator? While logged in as administrator? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Recently bought my granddaughter a lap top for school. And her time zone was stuck on "Pacific Standard Time" when it should be on "Central Standard Time". And the only way to adjust it to the correct time, was to right click the clock, and select "Adjust Date/Time" shut off "Set Time Automatically" and click on "Change Date And Time". then set it to the correct time. And the time zone remained "Pacific Standard Time".

Found out that I could go right click the clock, and select "Adjust Date/Time" Click on "Additional date, time, & regional settings" click "Change the time zone" then "Change time zone". But "Unable to Continue" contact administrator pops up!

Did not set up administrator account when I set up her PC, So I was stumped!

Couple of solutions I tried;

1. go to, C:/windows/system32/control Right click, select "Run as Administrator"

2. Start menu, type "CMD"  then hold down the "ctrl" & "shift" keys and hit "enter" this brings up the "Administrator Command Prompt" type "net user administrator /active:yes" enter, creates a administrator account. Sign out, and into the new administrator account, no password needed. FYI; "net user administrator /active:no" enter, restart computer. closes this user account.

Neither of these options worked! Still "Unable to Continue" contact administrator pops up!

Solution;

Start menu, type "CMD"  then hold down the "ctrl" & "shift" keys and hit "enter" this brings up the "Administrator Command Prompt". Typed "tzutil /l" enter, brings up a list of time zones. "tzutil /s" enter, sets the time zone to what ever you put after the "s" in parenthesis. Mine was "tzutil /s "Central Standard Time" enter. This permanently changed her time zone. Now can use "set time Automatically" and other options. 

Really would like to know why, and how I`m not able to change a time zone with out being an administrator, or as an administrator? 

Surely there is a simpler solution?

Thursday, August 8, 2019 1:29 PM

All replies

• Hi GambitMaster,

Is you grand daughter's machine running a "home" OS version? Sounds like it.

Have you checked the UAC level as this is most likely what is requesting elevation rights.

Search Windows for UAC and review those settings.

Thursday, August 8, 2019 2:53 PM
  • Thanks for the reply!

That setting had zero effect on requiring administrator authority to change the time zone. Even though I changed the time zone as sated before using the "Administrator Command Prompt". It still pops up when I try to change it using "Adjust Date/Time" Click on "Additional date, time, & regional settings" click "Change the time zone" then "Change time zone".

Saturday, August 10, 2019 5:26 PM