Backup Problem. RRS feed

• Question

• I am having the same problem.  When I try to set up Backup, it say my only option is to use my DVD -RW,  I have two internal HD's with LOTs of room but the backup
    setup program refuses to show them.  I went into help and was told that I should use a external HD but Help didn't offer to buy me one. Besides, HELP said the Internal HD's are best to use.   I have 500 GB between the two avail internals but that makes no diff. 
    I am running WIN & 64-bit on a 3.2 Ghz Intel Core2Duo and have 4 GB DDR2  667  RAM.
    Any idea's???
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 2:00 AM

Answers

• Hi there,

Please understand that not all internal HDDs can be used in Windows Backup and Restore.
    If you check the “Where should I save my backup?” in Windows Help and Support, you can find the following limitation.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Where-should-I-save-my-backup

====== Quote =======
    When you choose a destination to save your backup to, the wizard searches your computer and displays a list of all destinations that you can use. If the destination that you want to use doesn't appear in the list, it could be due to one of the following reasons:
    The destination is the drive that you are trying to back up. You can't back up a disk to itself. For example, you can't back up the contents of Drive E: to Drive E:.
    The destination isn't formatted as NTFS, FAT, or Universal Disk Format (UDF) (also called Live File System). Backups can only be saved to disks that are formatted using the NTFS, FAT, or UDF file systems. For more information, see Convert a hard disk or partition to NTFS format.
    The destination is either the drive that Windows is installed on or the system drive (the drive that Windows uses to start your computer—also called the startup drive).
    The destination is a recovery partition. This is a special partition that is created by your computer manufacturer that contains files and tools that you can use to return your computer to the manufacturer's settings if it stops working correctly.
    The destination is locked by BitLocker Drive Encryption. If the drive is encrypted using BitLocker, it must be unlocked before you can store a backup on it.
    =================

I agree with you that Internal HD's are best to use, but you should check your partitions and make sure there is at least one no-system partition and it is not locked by BitLocker.

For example, if you install Windows 7 to partition C and install all programs to partition D, you may not able to use either C or D to store backup files as there were “required for Windows to run smoothly”.

Monday, February 15, 2010 5:47 AM